Existing Member?

Heading West

What a day!

USA | Thursday, 12 August 2010 | Views [393] | Comments [1]

After mom cried through the ceremony...smiles all around

After mom cried through the ceremony...smiles all around

On Wednesday, 9 of us left for a 1:00 trail ride with about 20 other people and 2 young wranglers.  The usual afternoon thunder clouds were moving in as we left the stables.  Within 15 minutes it was drizzling and a few minutes later, we all got slickers on as the rain began to come down steadily.  In spite of the weather, the ride was going great and the scenery beautiful.  About an hour into the ride, the thunder and lightning started in earnest.  We were coming out of a lovely meadow, not under tree cover, when it began to hail - and then HAIL!!!  The pea size hail came down in a fury and spooked the horses.  Chaos ensued.  Horses were going everywhere.  I saw little Caroline and her horse charging past me.  She was screaming, terrified.  Then my horse headed down an embankment, with me hanging on for dear life.  Fortunately, within a minute or so, all the horses had settled down and no one was the worse for wear, though it may be awhile before some of the little kids will get back on a horse.  Since there was still lightning around us, the wranglers moved us up on a hill in small groups and left the horses in a group down on the trail.  From what they told us, any lightning would seek out the largest heat source - the horses.  Fortunately, that theory was not tested.  Once the storm passed, we all got back on our horses, a bit shaky.  We got back to the stables about an hour late.  Normally, this wouldn't have been a problem but we were supposed to be leaving for something the kids had planned to celebrate our anniversaries.

Dave and I and my brother Bob and his wife Carol are both celebrating our 45th wedding anniversaries this year, the reason for our family reunion in Colorado this year instead of in Destin, FL  where we usually gather.  The 7 cousins had been in contact planning something special for us.  Conference calls and much secrecy.   The week before we left, we were told to bring something besides shorts and jeans to wear for a special night and a renewal of vows.  When we got back from our horseback adventure,cold and wet, we rushed around and got in the cars in about 20 minutes.  We still didn't know where we were going. We arrived at St. Malo Retreat Center about 30 minutes later - a beautiful, old stone church. We had a private Mass there, complete with a musician, and renewed our vows.  There were more than a few teary eyes!  It was so special and just perfect! 

When we got back to our cabins, a catered dinner awaited us, complete with wedding cake.  The kids toasted us and there were more tears - happy ones, of course.  The kids had also put together a DVD of family pictures going back to our wedding days.  It played throughout the evening and it was hard to pull away from the images with all the memories they sparked.

After dinner, they cleared the dining area for dancing, complete with disco ball and spotlights.  What an amazing day!  How blessed we are to not only have great marriages but an incredible family!  Beth, Leah, Melissa, Anne, Alan, Jessica and Stasia - thank you more than words can say for an unforgettable night,  We love you all!

Pat

Comments

1

What a special evening. I cannot think of any 2 more deserving couples.... I am guessing that your children out-did themselves in making this one of the best times of your lives. What a great family! I am so happy for all who were there!

  Nancy Aug 17, 2010 10:31 AM

About beth2271

Good Hair!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.