Existing Member?

I can't believe we are travelling together again

new journal entry 16th April

AUSTRALIA | Saturday, 18 April 2009 | Views [587] | Comments [2]

South Africa, Botswana and Zambia

 

Africa was fantastic, and in some ways exactly what we expected and in others not at all what we expected.

 

The tour people were lovely and extremely helpful. They were a couple in their mid to late sixties who had been doing the tours for Intrepid for a year or so.

 

Heaps of people told us that Joburg was a hole and yes it is. WE have since found out that Capetown is definitely the place to visit, with great scenery, great food and even shopping.

 

The best thing about Joburg is the Soweto tour. We were told that in Soweto there are three levels, top level, middles class level and low class level. The affluent black people live in the top class area and often have people from the low class level working for them. The middle class area have 4 x room houses with inside toilets etc and they call them match box houses. The low level houses are basically the shanties which only have 2 rooms , no toilets and no running water. The government have been promising housing for many years and there are many people on the waiting list. Seeing how these people live is incredible and you think to yourself how much luxury we currently live in.

 

I never understood why overseas tourists went on about how clean Australia was until I had been to Bali, South Africa and now even Egypt. There is rubbish absolutely everywhere, piled up on the side of the road and even in the water ways. Nobody seems to worry about the disposal of their rubbish.

 

There is a huge amount of violent crime in South Africa. The houses in Joburg are all surrounded with high wrought iron fences and strong gates. The houses which do not have the wrought iron, have masses of barbed wire. I think that South Africa has bought up all the barbed wire available. Even in the very poor areas where they barely have a shack, there is barbed wire surrounding them.

 

There are also lots of scams, you have to be so aware of where you are and looking after your belongings.

 

There are shopping malls everywhere now, even in Soweto.

 

There are also many people selling things at the robots (traffic lights). People will come to the car window selling clothes hangers, xmas lights and even large balls to play with and bows and arrows.

 

The traffic in Joburg is disgusting but now that I have been to Cairo, I don’t think there would be worse traffic in the entire world or worse drivers.

 

The food has been good but nothing exciting.

 

We met some lifelong friends I am sure on the Africa trip and we had a lot of fun. We were however expecting to get closer to the animals in Kruger than we did. Kenya definitely sounds like the best place to go for safaris for getting close to animals.

 

The tour is really good but the down fall can be that you don’t always get to stop when you want to for food or photos. The good thing is that you have lots of company when you want it and you are travelling with people who know the area etc.

 

I am sure that you will all be pleased to know that Tony and I are still happily married and have not even come close to killing each other yet.

 

By the way, for the people who are wondering about how a menopausal woman is coping with the heat, the weather has been quite mild, ( there is a God after all!!)

 

We are in Cairo now and I am even coping with the weather here.

 

I will leave this now because we are heading off for a walk before our next tour meeting. I hope everyone is well and happy working or studying in Australia while we are working hard at having a good time holidaying!!! (it’s a tough life but someone has to do it!)

 

 

DAY 12

 

We have arrived in Cairo after a wonderfully boring alcohol free flight with 2 x set movies and equally exciting food.

 

I usually take the front seat in all forms of transpotrt due to travel sickness, however in Cairo in the taxi, I am rethinking this strategy. Traffic and drivers here are the craziest I have ever seen. and the taxi driver seems to find it quite amusing seeing me jump and quickly reach for the seat belt as he is about to mow down 5 pedestrians in one foul swoop.

 

Cairo is smelly, dirty, dusty and yet very interesting all at the same time.

 

After a quick snooze and more breakfast in our fairly dodgy hotel we head out with Jess to see the sights.

 

Jess has already been accosted, and it would seem almost adopted by what I am now calling the ‘Egyptian mafia’. One guy meets you in the street while you are walking along, then he takes you to a very small shop where other men (the drivers) sit out side waiting for a job. We sit and chat to the first guy while waiting for the ‘top dog’ Tommy who does the negotiating and sweet talking. Jess has already been dealing with these people for the 2-3 days while she has been in Cairo on her own.

 

This Tommy is an interesting character, he has extremely good English, and has all the aussie slang and expressions down pat just for the tourists.

 

Once a price has been agreed on, a driver is summoned. I take my heart in my mouth yet again and brave the Cairo traffic.. The driver is very good and we check out the citadel, the papyrus factory, the jewellery factory and the Bazzaar, while the driver collects his commission etc. along the way.

 

At the end of the trip we are taken again to Tommy (top dog) who is at ‘the café’ by then  smoking his water pipe and making more contacts with other prospective clients. We are  given a mango juice each and treated to some more small talk in hopes of more business.

 

Tommy’s question is always ‘Are you happy?’ This is so he can happily take your money. WE make plans for the next day and off we go.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

DAY 13

 

 We go though the same slightly dodgy process all over again wondering if you change your mind, whether you might end up with a horses head in your bed.

We were wanting to go to Giza today to see the Pyramids and there is now another branch of the mafia introduced to the equation.

 

 Apparantly there is someone we need to deal with at the pyramids who will give us an all inclusive price (the very best deal around) and if we are not happy or treated well, we must let Tommy know and he will take care of it (we think short for ‘get rid of him’).

 

A new driver is summoned for today’s trip, who is also very good and we are taken to the Giza branch of Tommy’s mafia.. The ‘top dog’ at Giza is very suspect and Tony and I really start to wonder what we have got ourselves involved in.

 

There is quite fierce negotiation at this juncture and it looks at times like we may even not do the pyramids. We finally head off on our camels (YES I SAID CAMELS for anyone who knows Bernadette’s camel story)

 

WE get to a makeshift gate where we pay an extra 60 EGP each to some very dodgy unofficial looking officials, who swipe our bags etc with a beeper thing just for effect.

 

The camel ride was for an hour or more and it was good fun, but you couldn’t help feeling that you were in the backyard of the pyramids without permission and that they had to move you through at a particular pace and route so as not to attract the wrong attention to themselves.

 

When back to the office/shop to see the Giza bloke Tony re negotiates an even cheaper price and we head back to Cairo with our driver.

 

We made no further plans with Tommy and the gang even after much urging and questioning regarding our movements and requirements for the next day.

 

 

DAY  14

 

I forgot to say that our bright spot for day13, was coming across KFC for the deaf. The perfect place for me!!! In the evening of the day 13. I found the lovely deaf guy at KFC the easiest, and nicest person to communicate with  in all of Cairo.

 

Ok, back to day 14, which was a fairly quiet day. We caught a very dodgy looking taxi from our hotel to the museum for 20 EGP. I am actually surprised that the taxi made it, everything seemed to be falling off or apart, but at least we were not beholden to the Mafia anymore which was comforting.

 

No major incidents at the museum apart from Tony getting dragged back to the checkpoint for bringing his camera in and some other young woman making a very rude sign to the woman who was chasing people to hand over their cameras. She got away but Tony did not.

 

Our first meeting with the new Intrepid tour was 6pm at our hotel. We could see right from the start that it was going to be very different to the previous trip. The group dynamics were extremely different, the leader had not even done the trip before and the whole vibe was different.

 

We did however all go to dinner together just around the corner from ‘Tommy’s Café’ and the food was really, really good. It cost us 25GP total for all three of us which equals approx. $6.50 australian. You can’t complain about that but it did unfortunately make all other Egypt food seem really expensive after that.

 

 

DAY 15

 

Up and out at 6am, with a take away breakfast box from the hotel (I thought they said this was a holiday)

 

The breakfast box consisted of a piece of cake, 2 bread rolls, a hard boiled egg and some cheese in a huge cardboard cake box.

 

We had 6 hours in the mini van with a couple of short stops along the way just for the driver and guide to get their commission from the food, drink and gift vendors.

 

Mt Sinai is in the most remote and barren area I have ever experienced and the hotel had no competition. Consequently they changed the prices for food etc. at whim and were extremely ungracious about it to boot and the room was not much better.

 

The hike up Mt Sinai was the most amazing scenery I had ever seen. We went up hill for approx 3 hours and downhill in the dark for approx 2 hours. It was reasonably tough especially for a woman who has not done any exercise since the pneumonia in Feb/March, but I made it thanks to the ventolin and the tour leader who kept me chatting.

 

I did however (surprise surprise!!) manage to injure myself just after all the steep steps. I missed a very shallow easy step and went face down in the dirt and skinned my knew and hand. YES , there are pictures!!

 

Meanwhile Tony and Jess did the “3,750 stairs of repentance” (2285m) because boy do they need to repent!!! I climbed to the same height, I just took the long way around because I of course have absolutely no need for repentance.

 

We slept very well after this little expedition and some Baileys (for medicinal purposes only) of course.

 

Comments

1

Hi Bernadette - great photos. You sound like you are having a wonderful adventure. Nothing new here. How boring to come back to work after this holiday. Janie has left and Simon has taken over his position. His position is now vacant! No one has taken over from me yet!!! I just come in to work and do. Take care of yourself, Kathy

  Kathy Thomas Apr 22, 2009 2:20 PM

2

Hi Kathy,

I think that's all good news from you, maybe there is hope for me yet when I get back??

Say hi to everyone for me,

Bern

  bernadette_tony-travelling Apr 23, 2009 4:41 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.