Existing Member?

Making Lemonade life gives you lemons make lemonade” Hello friends and family this cruising journal/blog is about my travels, the places I go and the friends I meet along the way.

June 3rd Happy Birthday Ruby!

NETHERLANDS ANTILLES | Thursday, 3 June 2010 | Views [586]

Special treat today as most of the work (general maintenance) has been done we have taken the day off. We started by dropping off the laundry (yeah) and then with breakfast at Zbest our favorite breakfast spot with wonderful omelets located in Simpson Bay Marina. After a practice sail on mini-belle we decided to borrow a friend’s rib w/motor and took a tour of Simpson Bay Lagoon which is the largest lagoon in the Caribbean and is shared by both the French and Dutch sides of the island. The French definitely got the better half. The story goes when they were deciding to amicably split the island they it was decided a Frenchman would start on one end and the Dutchman the other and where they met would become the country boundary. They provided both with a flask and apparently filled the Frenchman’s with red wine but the Dutchman’s with gin. The Dutchman got to drunk and didn’t walk as fast hence the Dutch side is much smaller. In the afternoon we went by car with Michael owner of Lagoonies, our local bar, to the French side shopping. Jim first met Michael in Turkey two years ago and this afternoon he showed us the cash and carry and a huge French Marche with excellent meat. I am going to use both for provisioning for our trip north.

Tobago Cay Marine Park

Tobago Cay Marine Park

Tags: breakfast, dutch, french, gin, lagoon, red wine, sailing, turkey

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Netherlands Antilles

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.