Existing Member?

Ich packe meine Sachen und bin raus mein Kind... This is the hub of all knowledge...since it's hard to email all my super cool and incredibly exciting adventures to each and everyone of you every day, this will be it, the place where you can see what i'm doing and where i'm at :-)!

Uniquely Singapore!

SINGAPORE | Tuesday, 16 October 2007 | Views [546]

So after having some trouble leaving germany, i'm finally here :-)! in the very diverse and fascinating city of singapore! when i got out of the MRT (which is by the way absolutely spotless) it felt like i was hitting a wall. the humidity over here is probably close to 90% or so, the first minutes it felt like i couldn't breath right and you immediately start sweating... i got to the hostel and didn't even get lost on the way :-)! now i'm living with 11 other males and females from all over the world in one room and i gotta say, i absolutely love it! on the first night, after i took the probably best shower of my life i went outside to sit with the other backpackers on the street and have some beers. it's the coolest thing, you sit there, it's a beautiful night and you watch all the indians bustling around on the streets ( i live in the district that's called little india, because all the indians of singapore live here, so it's really like you are in india!) and we're drinking the cheapest but best beer (i actually like it) in singapore while talking about everything and more all night long. i really love living in a hostel, you just meet people so fast and easy and they're from all over the world! how much better can it possibly get :-)? well i've already met a ton of people, two irish guys i could barely understand, two germans i could understand very well and tom from france as well as antoine, the brits alan, dave, matt and g the crazy spanish guy marc, tamer from egypt, jed from NZ and rune from danmark :-) i guess you can really tell that for some reasons there are a lot more guys here than girls, but they're all tons of fun and so easy to get along with! the first day, alan and me decided to go explore together because it was both our first day in singapore. so we kinda just started walking down the street we live in towards the beach. singapore is really interesting to look at, because in the little districts like little india it really looks like in india (or at least that's what i would picture india like) and then you get out and it's very modern, with lots of skyscrapers and new buildings, it's always spottless and humid :-)! so we walked a long way along hotels, churches, rugby fields towards the esplanage a huge theatre on the beach that looks like a giant hedgehog. there were massive amounts of people there, because it was a public holiday that all had a picnic really crazy i don't think i've ever seen so many people on so little space (that's when you know you're in asia). we had our first singaporean meal there (that was actually thai) and it was really delicious! then we walked towards the central business distict, because we wanted to go to sentosa island (a resort island with lots of attractions on it) but somehow we didn't realize how far it was and then the map we had didn't go all the way down to sentosa, so we didn't now where to go...it took us probably twenty minutes to admit that we were lost plus it started raining, so we took a cab to the cable car station (by the way it was still like a 15 minutes ride...) the cable car took us to sentosa, where we visited the pink dolphins, it was a really cool show (there were so many people on the island, you had to get in line for everything) and there were several thousand people watching. i've never seen pink dolphins before so that was real cool! next we went to the beach that was real nice and to the southermost point of continetal asia :-)! then we went to the underwaterworld, probably one of the coolest that i've ever been to just because they have all these animals that i've never seen! when we got back off the island, we took the MRT to chinatown to have dinner and we found this really cool night market where there were lots of food stands were we bought some food (i had chicken rolled up in pan leaves - delicious!) and sat on the street to eat, it was absolutely great! then we strolled around and found this indian temple in chinatown (how bizarre is that?!) and this little bar where they had the euro qualifications going on and england was playing, so we stopped for a beer there and watched the game with all these chinese that didn't know any english but never got tired of shouting rooney rooney and owen owen :-) it was great! then after a really long day we go back to the hostel and sat outside and talked to tom, darrah and marc for a little while before going to bed. i'm gonna right the next to days in the next entries so that this one doesn't get any longer and you guys can actually read the whole thing without falling asleep :-)!

Tags: On the Road

About bekky


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Singapore

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.