Existing Member?

Mexico to panama and Cuba in between

Puerto viejo

COSTA RICA | Friday, 14 December 2012 | Views [439]

 

Puerto viejo

Day 1
Finally got in at 9pm and of course the $39 quoted for the shuttle is now $45, honestly. He was a very nice driver though and I had some company when we picked up an English couple half way.
I checked into pagalu hostel which is beautiful and shouted myself a private which has the biggest bathroom ever and cable tv!
I'm currently watching cake boss and eating possibly the best Indonesian chicken curry I've ever had. Oh and a couple of cans of Cuba libre!
I've only gone for a quick walk in the dark but I think I'm going to love this town.
I can hardly wait to see the beach and some sloths tomorrow.
Day 2
I'm up early and I go to check out the brochure section for other hostels and there is already a pile of our hostel stickers! One of our guests has been here already!!
I went next door to rent a bike and asked the lady how to get to the jaguar animal rescue centre. An Aussie guy overheard me and asked if he could tag along. So Patrick from Brunswick and I rode up to the sanctuary.
It was amaaaaazing. We had an awesome guide who made me appreciate snakes, we played with howler and spider monkeys, patted deer, saw jaguars and toucans and........drumroll. SLOTHS!
No shit, we were in the monkey enclosure and I walked out and Patrick said "there's a sloth above your head". I looked up and there was a friggin sloth cruising around the roof, doing laps.
It was actually a wild sloth that occasionally comes to visit the centre. It was sooooo cute.
Then to top it off we saw two baby sloths in a blanket.
We rode back to town in the rain and hit a chocolate cafe.
We then went to grab some tico food at a local place and took off again on the bikes for a ride up the coast.
We stopped a couple of times for some very tasty local craft beer and ended up riding down a dirt road along the beach.
We got back to town and hit a beach bar to listen to some live music.
4 cocktails at happy hour called lazy mamas.......oh mamma!
On the walk to get some food I tripped on a rock and cut the top of my big toe off, the same big toe that has a toenail I bent backwards and is about to drop off.........ewwwwww.
We ran into the English couple I caught the shuttle with and headed to flip flops for some dinner.
I couldn't help myself and had the same indo curry I had last night. Patrick did too and whole heartedly agreed it was the best.
What an amazing day. 
I truly love this little town, but alas panama awaits.

About beebatoz


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Costa Rica

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.