Existing Member?

Mexico to panama and Cuba in between

San pedro la laguna

GUATEMALA | Saturday, 3 November 2012 | Views [651]

 

San pedro la laguna, Guatemala 

Day 1
I'm en route to the lake. It's another gnarly bus ride but there's only 8 people so it's comfy!
The scenery is beautiful. Looking down into the valleys you see little villages with smoke coming out of the chimneys of the little shacks.
It's a winding 2 lane freeway and it's interesting to see traditionally dressed Mayan women walking alongside the busy roads with babies or produce on their backs. Guatemalan cowboys herding goats or riding horses.
It's just started pissing down and it's really cold here, this should make it a fun bus ride! I'm just glad I'm not on a chicken bus, those things are flying along the highways.
We just drove through a section where every 100 meters or so were stalls selling the brightest most colourful fresh cut flowers. Apparently a dozen roses only costs about $3 here. Gorgeous.
Observation........all farts smell the same in central America. Yep, and I know because I've been on a lot of public transport with a lot of different people and inhaled a few and it's all the same brand. Just sayin!
I got into San pedro and it's awesome. I walked around and found the hostel denzyl is staying. They were booked so I ended up at a cool little place down the road with everything I need for $8! It's soooooo cheap here.
Met an American guy staying here, Scott, we ran into each other at dinner down the road. Having an early one ready for Halloween tomoz and might take the ferry to panajachel which is only 30 mins away. Excited to see this place in daylight.
Day 2
I got up and walked to the dock. The site before my eyes was unbelievable, mountains and volcanos surrounding a beautiful huge lake with little villages dotted around. Words cannot describe really so you will have to wait for the photos. But even they won't convey this sight.
I jumped a boat for panajachel which only took half an hour across the glass like lake. Met a nice Irish guy on the boat..........wedding ring.
Got to pana and went for a walk through the market streets to the lake which again blows my mind. I can't believe a place like this actually exists.
The stuff here like embroidery is way more expensive than Antigua and confirms I got the deal of the century on my blanket! I bought a couple more small oil paintings but that's about it.
It's a cute little town but I like where I'm staying in San pedro much better.
Halloween parties tonight so it should be a good night in old San pedro town.
I kind of forgot to tell old mate where I'm staying that I will be here till Saturday.  Hope he doesn't throw my shit out of the room!
Got back and all is still in my room!
Stopped by a place that makes hand made shoes from second hand traditional Mayan clothing........bang, ordered 2 pairs! I picked the fabric and I know that no one on earth will have the same pair. They even use old tyre tread for the soles!
I also ran into an Irish girl, sarah, who was in Belize and lanquin so we decided to go on a mission to find the local markets, graveyard and church to see what's cracking for day of the dead tomorrow. We found it all along with live and dead turkeys for sale, bright flower markets and crackers going off at every corner!
The roads are soooo steep but when we finally found the cemetery.......wow. It's so colourful and kinda happy. Because its the day before day of the dead, all the families were up there painting the graves and cleaning up etc. all very jovial for a cemetery. They pile them high here and give them a spectacular view of the lake!
We asked a local lady where it all happens tomorrow and she said from about 3pm all through the night they have a big party.
So glad we saw all that, it was the local part of town and so cool. I love this town. I'm staying till Saturday I like it so much. 
We are all meeting at buddah bar tonight for Halloween drinks. I'm here now and the locals are all dressed up as ghouls and serving Guatemalan insanity punch! It's a spooky night too with a thunderstorm rolling in. It's nice to be cold.
Ok so the night got crazy. After Buddha bar we all cruised to yo mamma casa party but the police had closed it down so we all went to a bar called zoola. It was right on the lake and pumping really!
I went to the bar to order a drink and this tall guy dressed as a Mexican women started painting my face........badly too!
Anyway I staggered the 200 meters along a crooked broken boardwalk through a back alley to my room and crashed watching the Halloween marathon in Spanish on tv!
Day 3
Up pretty early because I'm starving. Just realised I had a liquid dinner last night and I'm feeling it.
I'm meeting Sarah at 10 to get the boat to Santiago because apparently it's pretty cool and not as touristy as pana.
Took a while to wash that paint shit off my face this morning, fark he did a bad job!
Met Sarah and we walked to the second dock and again the little farkers try to rip you off for a ticket before you get to the boat. He said it was Q50 to Santiago...........bullshit mate, so we jumped on board and decided to wait for the captain. The little shit came back and said it was Q20 now, so I had a go at him blah blah blah. Anyway we got to Santiago and walked through the village trying to find the cemetery. We walked down some dodgy streets and the locals were staring us down!
We finally found our way after following locals with flowers.....derr!
It was full of families busy painting and putting fresh flowers on the graves. Music blaring, vendors selling everything from coconut juice to candles. It was so colourful and lively, pretty cool site really up on the mountain overlooking the lake.
We caught a tuk tuk back down to the dock and headed back to San pedro.
I've arranged to meet Sarah again at 4.30 to head up to the cemetery to check out the celebrations. 
I was having a smoke on my balcony and who should walk past but the 2 Dutch girls I've seen in every country!
They were just wandering around hating the place so I asked them to come along with us to the cemetary.
I first went to pick up my shoes and they were awesome but one pair was too big so he's going to fix them, ready in the 'mañana'!
So Sarah and John turn up  and We all started hiking up the bloody steep hill and it starts absolutely pissing down. Turns out the 'waterproof' jacket I bought in Mexico city ain't so waterproof.
We got to the cemetary and it was packed, pretty cool thing to see. We decided to get tuk tuks back and I couldn't watch flying down the steep hill in the pouring rain!
We all met back up at a place called D'Noz for a drink where the brittish woman who runs it is an absolute mole. So then decided to go back to buddah bar for dinner. The other Irish couple joined us and we had a good laugh. All really good people who are coming to stay at our hostel in Nicaragua which will be fun.
Having an early night. Ky and Karl are in town tomorrow so it will be cool to catch up with them.
Day 4
Went and had coffee on the lake, it's the most perfect day after a really cold night. I look over and Old mate with a bar of soap completely starkers is having a bit of a scrub up in the lake!
I picked up a local magazine and saw that there's a Mayan dude that does readings and your mayan horoscope. So I went on a mission to find him at a little book store near the docks. He wasn't there but the man in the shop said he is walking around town at the moment and showed me a picture of him. Well if he is Mayan, I'm an aborigine! He's the whitest hippy looking non Guatemalan I've ever seen. So needless to say I won't be returning with my birth details!
I just opened my laundry I picked up yesterday and there's someone else's undies in there........ewwww!
Just got messages from Sarah and liz in Antigua and we are all meeting up which will be awesome.
I just met Ty and Karl at cafe atitlan and had a good old laugh at Karl's expense. He got a case of what we now refer to as 'shamen sharts' in Antigua!
He basically gambled on a fart after a street meat chorizo and lost. He shat himself in the street whilst free balling!
I cried from laughter, happy that i wasnt the only victim (see Cuba debacle)
To add to the incident they had put all their laundry in to be washed so had no spare clothes! It doesn't end there. They went to pick up their washing and it was all pink and shrunk!!! Bahahaha!
It's been great here in San pedro. Lovely people, beautiful scenery, great food. A place I would definitely recommend to anyone. Boat to panajachel then a shuttle to Antigua tomorrow.
Thanks San pedro it's been a blast :)

About beebatoz


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Guatemala

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.