Existing Member?

Mexico to panama and Cuba in between

Antigua

GUATEMALA | Wednesday, 31 October 2012 | Views [705] | Comments [1]

 

Antigua, Guatemala 

As soon as I dumped my bags at the hostel I went to the art markets across the road and I'm in heaven. All the craft I loved so much and wished I got more of in Mexico is here, Guatemala style!
I went a bit ballistic first day in and I haven't even made it to chichi or panchabel markets........woops!
This town is awesome, I love every inch I've seen so far and can't wait to explore it more tomorrow. So the plan at this stage is 2 nights in Antigua, 1 in panchabel, 1 in chichi and get to Santiago on the lake in time for all saints day on nov 1. It's a massive festival here with huge kites, lots of colour and merriment!
I went for a walk around town and it's such a beautiful city. I think my fave so far. Great food too which is a plus! 
I bought a bottle of rum for Q48 and kicked back at the hostel for the night to rest my aching legs from my run through Tikal!
I facebooked Denzel who was staying at the casa in Nicaragua and he's in San pedro so I think I'll head that way tomorrow.
Day 2
Woke up early and skyped shane in new York to make sure they are ok with hurricane sandy headed right for them. They have sandbagged and bunkered down ready for the possible impact tonight. Shane showed me outside the window and it looks rough already.
I went to explore the town again in daylight. I hit the local fruit markets and it's so full of life and colour with all the Mayan women in traditional dress selling every kind of fruit under the sun.
The town park centre is gorgeous and every street you turn down is a ruin left behind by their many natural disasters. I visited a photo exhibition and it was eye popping with ultra graphic pics of dead people. It was all in Spanish so I will have to ask what it was all about. Strange but interesting.
I've booked a shuttle to San pedro for tomorrow at 2pm which is on the lake.
Went for another walk around and couldn't resist going back to the market.
I went back to a lovely Mayan women who I bartered with yesterday. I ended up getting 2 massive ornate pillow cases for $50 and she gave me a Mayan bracelet for good luck, such a sweetheart.
Funny, the lady I bought the painting from yesterday is closed........I must have paid too much. I doubt it though, I talked her down from $100 to $40.
I'm thinking of going back to Nicaragua after I've done Guatemala and maybe doing panama next month. I can do Honduras and el Salvador anytime really. 4 countries in a month and a half is plenty for now I think! I've also got a lot of crap to lug around! If I ever find a home back in oz it's going to look amazing!
I've booked my ticket back to Nicaragua for next Monday so I can unload some of my booty!!
Mum wants some cushion covers so I went back to the market and went to a lady I knew I could get them for $10 each. I bought 4 but on my way out saw the most amazing blanket I've ever laid eyes on. Well I've been bartering for 45 minutes and got her down from $670 to $300 but my last offer was $250 which is really all I want to spend. She brought me a million alternatives running around grabbing from other stalls but I didn't cave, walked away about 10 times before they came running after me! I know it's worth a lot more than $250 so I might go back tomorrow and offer the $300. It's spectacular and a once in a lifetime buy. I hope they cave but if not there are other markets to try before I leave. 
I've managed to shove everything into my bag after offloading the food I had like pasta, pesto, Parmesan, nutella etc to the English bloke that runs the hostel. He was beyond stoked!
Day 3
Had almost no sleep worrying about Shane, Kristy and jaxon who are in the path of hurricane sandy in New York.
Haven't been able to contact him but a mate tells me they moved upstairs with their landlord to higher ground.
Finally got through to mum and she got an email from Shane early this morning saying they are ok but the town is completely flooded and a lot of it on fire. Bloody hell, good of everyone to let me know.
I went back to the market this morning because I just can't leave without the blanket! I got to her stall and she hugged me. I offered $260 but she's good and held out for $300 which I handed to her in US. She said the piece was made by members of her family and I told her it is going to a good home.
I also stopped by the fair trade market and picked up some of the awesome chocolate you make hot chocolate with and a worry doll that if you put her under your pillow she will take away your worries. Hope that one works!
I've packed my shit but I'm leaving the suitcase and blanket in storage at the hostel here so I don't have to lug it around the lake.
Now that I know Shane and co is safe I'm looking forward to hitting San pedro tonight, the photos look unbelievable.
4 hour bus ride today which should be a piece of cake really!!
Tip if coming to Antigua, it has the most spectacular McDonald's on planet earth. Even if you don't eat here, you have to check it out! The gardens, the building and volcano backdrop is jaw dropping.

Comments

1

Sounds fantastic bee!!! Wish I was there enjoy this amazing journey love u xxxxx

  Emma Pitts Oct 31, 2012 10:40 PM

About beebatoz


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Guatemala

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.