Existing Member?

Wanderlust Dreams

My Scholarship entry - Understanding a Culture through Food

WORLDWIDE | Monday, 23 April 2012 | Views [114] | Scholarship Entry

Cuy - Sacred food of the Inca’s

Wandering out of my hotel a familiar smell tantalises my senses. The rich, smokey smell of roasted meat makes my mouth water and my stomach rumble; I’m yet to have lunch. Enticed by the possibility of a decent meal I roam the market lined streets of Cuenca following my nose in search of my feast. Yet as I round a corner I am met by a shocking prospect.

At first sight you may be forgiven for mistaking the meat as beef, but look a little closer and you begin to realise that there are, in fact, rat-like creatures roasting whole over the open fire; Guinea Pig.

Like many, you may turn your nose up at the thought of eating them, but those cute, furry little animals are considered a delicacy in much of South America– even if they are served with their head and claws intact. They’re so highly prized that a mating pair are considered perfect wedding gifts, whilst others will serve them to guests as a way to make an impression– like we’d serve a roast when our out-of-town relatives come to stay.

Locally known as ‘Cuy’ after the sound they make, they have been part of the local diet for thousands of years. The Inca dish, traditionally eaten by nobility or used as part of a sacrifice, acted as the main, staple meat and source of protein within their diets, and for many it still is. Following the European invasion these treats began to be traded with Europe as exotic pets.

And it is this domestication which has lead to our cultural stigma attached to eating cuy. Many wouldn’t bat an eyelid when it comes to eating beef, but those of the Hindi belief see cows as sacred animals. We may consider Cuy a pet, but to the Ecuadorians it’s no different from the chickens and cows which roam the countryside; same principle, different context.

It may be hard work for the small amount you get, and you may need some motivation to get over those memories of your childhood pet, but the tender, rabbit-like meat makes the experience worth it.

¡Buen provecho!

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About beckybartlett


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.