Existing Member?

Share with Me Mostly of mainland China and Hong Kong, but there are some other places too that I have been to.

Domestic Violence and Thai Law

THAILAND | Tuesday, 9 February 2010 | Views [754]

Tuesday, February 09, 2010

 Another beautiful morning in Chiang Mai at BABSEA, the sunrise was around 6am.  I watched a melodrama on the local TV, and ate my porridge at the street café near Wat Suan Dok.  After getting back to the office, I checked my emails, and then read through my schedule for the week ahead.  Another lesson on Friday with the girls at the juvenile detention centre to plan, and then preparation for the lesson on domestic violence at the women’s refuge, Wild Flowers.  Kristen and I met up and discussed the UN’s declarations in comparison to Thai Law, and reviewed the statutory rape law introduced in 2007.  It was interested to note that the second type of rape in Thai law is nullified if the accused agrees to marry the victim.  Kristen and I went through the lesson from start to finish and discussed patterns of violence, and teaching approaches to elicit responses from the group.  It seemed appropriate to have the group categorize the different forms of violence, and to introduce an element of role play.  We’ll have the Thai translator with us, and the relationship with the group is apparently stronger than with the young girls at the juvenile centre.

 

Later in the morning, I read through the previous lesson plans for MPlus+ which informs local Thai outreach workers about how to provide primary care for MSW – Male sex workers and other groups of at risk members.  The lessons were detailed, and at times complex, in terms of understanding the legal implications and accessing the information for non English speakers.  Nevertheless, I liked the content and felt burdened by the context and objectives of the upcoming workshop. 

 

D and I went to the temple and ate under the Bodhi tree.  When I returned, Kristen had typed up the lesson plan which included the script for the role play.  I spent some time making cubes with key words written on.  These would make up a model of a house of domestic violence, which might help the women to relate to how then can make bridges for a better future for themselves.  My paper craft skills are not the best, but hopefully, it will add some dimension to the discussion on how to build better relationships.  I am thinking about the following lesson now, and a personal safety checklist for future relationships and independent living. 

 

Will help Muan tomorrow with her emails and try to make a list of energizer activities for Paul on his writing workshop.  I read the newspaper, The Bangkok Post, and felt some concern about relations with Cambodia.  I was encouraged to see a rally organized by the Government.  This must have raised the profile of domestic violence in Thailand. 

 

Just booked a trek for Monday and Tuesday.  I found the Writer’s Café and had a beer and some noodles there for dinner.  Hey, life is good.

 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.