Existing Member?

Adventures in the Land of Paddington We're off on our very first trip overseas as adults ... finally!! We'll be travelling round Peru and Bolivia for a whole month. This journal is so you can all keep track of what we're up to in the World of the Incas - don't forget to check if we live through our tarantula spotting or our 4 day trek.

Cusco & Aguas Calientes

PERU | Tuesday, 30 January 2007 | Views [703] | Comments [3]

La Compania Cathedral - a Jesuit Church where I went to mass!

La Compania Cathedral - a Jesuit Church where I went to mass!

I love the night life ...

I´m leaving Cusco for good soon and I will be really sad to see it disappear through the back window of the bus.  Spending a few days here on my own has given me a chance to meet some amazing travellers and to have a really good shop as only a woman can!

I have explored both Cathedrals now which is almost a days worth of work - they are so big!  And it is easy to see where all the Inca gold and silver ended up.  I went along to mass the night before last to see if it was any different and, suprise, suprise, it was exactly the same only in a different language.  Although I couldn´t quite undrestand the sermon, I could tell by the look on the Padre´s face that he was telling me to behave myself. **tee hee**

I have also been diligently exploring the town´s bars and pubs.  Many many Irish pubs are to be found here to cater for all the backpackers - I really enjoyed having Shepard´s Pie.  The beer here is good too.  There seem to be two main brands - Cuscaquena & Cristal.  Both are heavy lagers which forces me not to get too drunk as I feel full after one ´small´bottle. (Small here is 1 litre)

Yesterday afternoon I caught the train with my group to Aguas Calientes, the rest stop at the bottom of the mountain where Machu Picchu sits.  It is a funny little town, with one main street full of restaurants and hostels with the train running right down the middle.  You sit drinking your Inca Cola and get covered in black smoke as the train steams by.

The view out of my hotel room is of three huge mountains with a rocky lake running between them.  Truely awe inspiring.  I will meet Phil at Machu Picchu tomorrow morning although I have received a message that he is quite sick with Gastro so I am not sure that we will spend much time exploring the ruins.  I hope he is okay.

Talk soon,

B/.

Tags: Sightseeing

Comments

1

Hello there

WOW!! Your trip sounds amazing!! Hope you two are having an amazing time. Hope Phil is ok!!
It looks incredible over there!!
Take care!! Very jealous!!
Luv me xo

  Michelle Jan 30, 2007 9:13 AM

2

Miss you heaps lovie!

Hope you & Phil aren't too sick and are enjoying yourselves. Can't wait till you get back :-)

Love
Mel

  Mel Jan 30, 2007 10:29 AM

3

Heyyyyyy guys,
"WOW" is all I can manage as well! My god the pictures look amazing... and I'm sure there are heaps more. Good to hear you are loving it.. Miss you heaps though, so for our sake come back soon!!!!
Look forward to more pics and stories!
Take care
Love Parisa xxoo

  Parisa Feb 1, 2007 2:06 PM

About bec-and-phil


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.