Existing Member?

Adventures in the Land of Paddington We're off on our very first trip overseas as adults ... finally!! We'll be travelling round Peru and Bolivia for a whole month. This journal is so you can all keep track of what we're up to in the World of the Incas - don't forget to check if we live through our tarantula spotting or our 4 day trek.

Lake Titicaca

AUSTRALIA | Sunday, 4 February 2007 | Views [1208] | Comments [3]

Bec & Phil play ´dress-ups´ on Amantani Island

Bec & Phil play ´dress-ups´ on Amantani Island

A day in the life of ...

After Cusco and Phil´s dramatic climb to Machu Picchu we headed off to Puno on the shores of Lake Titicaca.  Puno itself is pretty much a dump, but Lake Titicaca is goregous (once you get out of the Algae infested bay!).  It is the highest navigable lake in the world at roughly 4000 metres above sea level.  Actually I think its more like a sea as it covers more than 8000 square hectres and has a small salt content.

We spent a day cruising to the islands that are spotted throughout the Lake, stopping at Taquille for a lovely lunch of soup and fish.  The people who live on the islands seem to be more traditional than those in the cities, with the guys looking like Spanish bullfighters and the girls all dressed in huge skirts and heavy mantas (shawls).  We were told that the Spanish moors have left their imprint here and this is especially obvious in the girls behaviour - they only speak in whispers and cover their faces when men approach.

After lunch we headed off to Amantani Island to spend the night with a local family.  Phil and I were adopted for the evening by Mama Oliga who led us slowly through the hills to her family home, knitting as she went!  We were included in the family dinner of soup and fried cheese and Phil and the boys were soundly beaten in a soccer match by the teenage boys.  I think they would´ve done better if they had not all been puffing and panting from the increase in altitude.

After dinner the villagers held a Fiesta in our honour.  We got to dress in their traditional clothing with Phil in poncho and funky ear-flapped hat, and me in layered skirts and embroidered manta.  We tried to dance as traditional Andeans would, but once again the altitude slowed us considerably.  After we had given the villagers presents of sugar, pasta and rice, we all filed off to bed with our Mama´s leading the way.

The Island was so very beautiful - it was like stepping into a children´s fairy tale.  Little stone walls were everywhere and fluffy donkeys, sheep and hens provided the soundtrack to our mini adventure. 

In the morning it was back on the boat for nearly four hours to drop into the Floating Reed Islands.  These man made islands were where the indigenous people first hid from the conquering Incas but now they are little more than Tourist Feasts for the locals.  Handy-craft markets abound.

So back to Puno we went where we farewelled around half of our tour group as they were returning to Lima.  We will continue onto La Paz now which is where our portion of the Guided Tour will end.

Next entry from Bolivia!!

B/.

Tags: Culture

Comments

1

Yodil People!! I've finally got this from Burg!! Now I can harrass you all the time. Hope this finds you in good health and spirits. Looking forward to when you get back. Some great photos. Partically like the one of the village mountain... well... the tarps covering the side of a mountain... definitely something ya won't find in Melbourne!!! Keep the updates coming. So much detail... Love yas long time xxxxoooo Shae

  Shae Feb 7, 2007 5:39 PM

2

Hello!!
Such lovely stories! Am green with envy. Love catching up with what is happening with you guys. Keep it up.
Hope all is well.
Love Jane

  Jane Feb 8, 2007 2:39 PM

3

Does look like you're having a brilliant time! (well, except for the vomiting I guess). Continue!

  Jo Feb 8, 2007 7:46 PM

About bec-and-phil


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.