Existing Member?

Adventures in the Land of Paddington We're off on our very first trip overseas as adults ... finally!! We'll be travelling round Peru and Bolivia for a whole month. This journal is so you can all keep track of what we're up to in the World of the Incas - don't forget to check if we live through our tarantula spotting or our 4 day trek.

The Amazon

PERU | Tuesday, 23 January 2007 | Views [732]

Madre di Dios - or the Mother of God River

Madre di Dios - or the Mother of God River

In deepest, darkest Peru ...

We arrived in the Amazon basin on Monday afternoon after travelling by bus, plane, boat and foot for around 7 hours!  The humidity at 90% slapped us in the face and you almost felt as if you were moving through a thick haze.

Eventually we got the Explorer Inn where we stayed in Jungle Huts that looked like a scene from Tarzan.  Beds with mosquito nets, and cold showers again!

The camp was run by two Macaws called Polly and Willy.  Polly was very friendly and welcoming but Willie was obviously the disciplinarian - lots of squawking and pecking.  You had to watch your bare feet if Willie was about. **he he**

Actually, the Lodge was run by an amazing group of Naturalists and Tour Guides who took us on long walks to spot wildlife - we saw so many Caiman (crocs), spiders, butterflies, ants, birds and monkeys, but no jaguars (thankfully)!  I was very sick with food poisoning and so had to sit out the full day hike on Day Two but continued to spot animals from my sick bed - a gecko about 5 inches long spent nearly an hour running round my hut.  He was so cute with his little round feet and bright green body.

One of the guides, Ricardo, was from a Quechea (indigenous) background and he spent a long time talking to me about his tribal culture while I recovered on the porch of my hut.  Ricardo was also an incredible guitarist and because I was too ill to leave my hut he came and sat on the porch to play music for me ... traditional music coupled with Spanish versions of Metallica!!  I have made a firm friend in Ricardo who is incredibly interested in Australian wildlife.  I promised to send him photos of Uluru.

All the people we have come across so far have been amazing, so friendly, kind and ready to help with absolutely anything.  I think there is something that we lose with all our comfort and convenience in Australia - the Peruvian people are so so poor, but in many ways so much richer than we are.  Their sense of family, friendship and fun is like nothing I have ever experienced before and we are already feeling its affect on us.  We wanted a change of perspective and we have certainly found it.

Next stop is Cusco, the imperial capital ...

Tags: Adventures

About bec-and-phil


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.