Existing Member?

We Love India

Time For Cooler Climates

INDIA | Sunday, 30 March 2008 | Views [529] | Comments [2]

Yes, the time has come to head north for cooler climates.  It's a bummer too because since the rains stopped it has been brilliant weather.

It is nearly dinner time so not feeling like writing but have a look at the photos - 'Into the Jungle...' to see a bit of what we have been up to.

We love March as there is usually quite a few festivals.  Our favourite is Holi.  It is like a spring festival.  They celebrate differently all over India.  Here, in this village, they have a big meal day.  The men and boys drum, chant, sing and do this rope dance.  The women prepare buckets of food.  The dancing moves from house to house then there is a break and everyone sits around eating off leaf plates while gorgeous food is piled on.  Sunanda makes a yummy veg masala.  There is mounds of rice, fried fish, chicken currey and a sweet made with milk and cardamon....mmmmm....  Everybody goes from house to house having a little food at each... we only managed two places before we felt like we could burst and needed a sleep.  This goes on all night.  The next day it rained but did not stop the colour.  Everyone throws water and coloured paint at each other... we usually manage to avoid this tradition but it looks like fun.  Then there is more drumming, singing and firecrackers that goes on until 5am.  Phew!

We have mostly been hanging out with our mates Derek & Ilsa.  They moved in to the room next door and it is great having friends for neighbours.  We went on a scooter trip to the jungle, ate some awesome food at this little cafe on the way, cooled ourselves by the river, saw some wicked ancient rock carvings and took in the beautiful scenery along the winding bumby forest roads.  The next day we went with Richie in search of beaches and found two with no people on them.  The water was lovely, warm and turquoise... like a tropical paradise.  Then after our adventures the rains came.  It stormed for about 5 days on and off.  Nobody had seen weather like this ever.  During the day it was mostly grey and humid with some light rain.  But at night the wind picked up and then it poured soaking everything.  Then there would be lightning and thunder.  This was always amazing to watch.  No electriciy so we sat in Jai Ram's cafe around candles, sitting in places where the rain was not dripping through, sipping chai and watching nature.  Once the rains finished the sun came out, dried everything off and it is lovely on the beach.  We have been swimming everyday, all day... now its time to go.

We are off to Delhi on Tuesday to do a little shopping before heading to the mountains.  Then I am off to the ashram and Cal will be heading to Almora to hang out with mates.

So, not sure when we will have time to do photos and stories (maybe end of May) but we all wish you well & happy ...  lots of love,

om namah shivaya

Comments

1

sounds just amazing!Be safe when travelling north, and we look forward to hearing further instalments! Rock on! Ray fx

  Ray Apr 1, 2008 7:07 AM

2

All sounds so lovely, take care on your travels and looking forward to reading more.........I bumped into your Mum the other day Cal and was telling her about your journal, so have printed both entries out for her, hope you don't mind! LOL 2U2 Vicar xx

  Vicki Coombs Apr 4, 2008 8:19 PM

About bamboozle69


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.