Existing Member?

Away From Home Please Leave A Message A Journal, a page, a story, an update of my long summer vacation(s).

Cambodia And Gene

CAMBODIA | Monday, 12 July 2010 | Views [610] | Comments [3]

This is my 3rd trip to the temples, Gene's 1st. It has always been hard to put in words what the temples are like. Maybe I can get gene to guest write his observations. I know he was blown away by the site. 

I guess I will focus on what was a little different this time back. The park that contains the temples lets you buy your next day ticket and enjoy a sunset tour. I took Gene directly to Ankgor Wat, the main portion, to view a sundowner. The cloud filled sky made it difficult for the sun to break through, yet it was hot.

As closing time was called the guard pulled us over and said we need to see this, which is the start of all scams in Asia. We followed, no mention of money, just someone to bring us around the site where scientists have blocked off some of the main portions of this huge temple. There was no harm to the temple, we didn't steal, borrow, or break anything, just walked around. I have been here in the past, but Gene would of missed this if we didn't have our special guide. Ok, all was not legit. At one point we climbed to the top and then onto the roof of one of the highest points. Something that happened because of all the scaffolding covering the top. Cool! We paid our guard and guide for the exclusive tour.

The Tone Sap Lake is a large lake in Cambodia. It is a very shallow and small lake at this time of the year. Yet, we still managed to take a longtail boat out to where the poorest people live in Seam(sp) Reap. At one point Gene and I bought overly priced school supplies and brought them to a floating school with attached play ground. What is it like here? A slum is the best way to describe it. It is a floating slum with pigs, ducks, chickens caged on floats. Kids throwing trash off the side of the boat, while a parent is using the side of the boat as a bathroom. Our tour was basically boat ride through TJ, Harlem, or Detroit.

Once again I stayed at Molly Malone's near Pub Street. Thierry and his workers are great. Highly recommended. The is a great story about Gene and I being accused of being spys by a "drunk" vistor. I should leave that to Gene and hopefully he will write it here.

Bye for now

Tags: cambodia

Comments

1

Greetings Steve,
I'm not sure how this works because I'm not exactly FB savvy, but I'm curious to see what happens!
Regarding Angkor Wat: Do you know what the architectural influences are? (yes, this is a quiz)--I googled it because I didn't even know what it looked like, and I was struck by how "western" it appeared, in a general way. Is there a western influence, or did it influence the west? That is my question. (I minored in archaeology, so I am actually really interested, and I'm not trying to torture you ;)...I did not see any cultural influence information on wikipedia).
Regarding the Floating Village: I think I saw something on PBS some time ago on the poverty there--that is such a wake up call. I imagine there are missionary workers there? And you said that you and Gene brought school supplies; are they dependent upon goodwill in order to function?
Thank you for sharing your travels, and please write more! I am a lone office worker gazing from her small window onto a bar across the street.
Sincerely,
Mercedes

  Mercedes Rathswohl Jul 13, 2010 10:18 AM

2

Well, that is a tall order. Just remember in most societies the building of pyramid shape objects seems to be the norm. Is it western or eastern? Don't know, but I can tell you that the design was around what religion was in power at the time; Hindu or Buddhist. The main difference I saw was the use of statues to represent the God or gods. Arches were used in several of the temples and to say where the design came from is difficult because there are some many temples in some many different areas I don't remember when each was built. What I believed to be common throughout is the pictographs. Hindu in influence I believe. That is it for now. See Ya soon

  baker Jul 14, 2010 5:26 PM

3

hi steven been trying to call you but i must have the wrong no. please send me the no. again. love mom

  mom Jul 15, 2010 2:48 PM

About baker

Angkor Wat

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.