Existing Member?

Ben and Ange - On the Road

Felizes Fiestas Lima!

PERU | Wednesday, 30 July 2008 | Views [908] | Comments [1]

National Pisco Day Pisco Marrathon!  No kidding!!!  Approaching the final straight in the plaza.

National Pisco Day Pisco Marrathon! No kidding!!! Approaching the final straight in the plaza.

.... or summink like that.

July 28th is Peru`s Independence Day.  Tis a big buzz... lots of build up, lots of preparations, plenty of excitement and many many many red and white flags!  We were in Lima for the big day - and the week preceeding and had a ball watching all the preps and even more fun joining in the National Pisco Day that our local shire/council decided to put on in the main plaza!  What a day!  Picso tastings, pisco sours, pisco banners and ... get this... the annual Pisco Marrathon!  Which essentially pits the best of the best barmen in a race through the streets carrying their silver tray bearing the tall skinny pisco bottle and a glass!  Its the spoon `n`egg race on roids man!!  They also then get to have a "cocktail off".  Too much fun!

We did our bit and bought and wore our little Peru pins.  Which happened to gain the attention of a news crew who felt the need to film us and get us to say "Felizes Fiestas" for the big bugger of a camera right in our faces.  Naturally we cocked that up royally and finally blurted something out that will surely leave many a Peruano scratching their heads in wonder at the strange gringos.

Other impressions of Lima?

Its weird.  For starters its set on the coast but in the middle of the biggest sand pit I have ever seen!  Its a desert city.  All around FOR MILES AND MILES is nothing but sand.  And the ocean.  But then you come into the city and theres all these trees and green parks and the rest of it!  Weird!

The city centre - was a strange grimey place with bits and pieces of nice architecture and the like but Lima hasn`t had all that much luck with earthquake carnage so its a bit hotch potch.

A couple of the coastal suburbs on the other hand are in total contrast!  All new and schmicko with fancy pants shopping malls, cinemas, bars, cafes and the works.  In one case - all clinging to the side of the cliffs overlooking the ocean.  Weird.  Naturally - in these surrounds we were compelled to shop.  I`m not entirely sure the silver stilettos were the most practical back-packing purchase but dang they sure is purrdy! 

So with a few more kilos each in our packs (and possibly on the belt) we`ve hit the road again.  We`ve bussed on out of Lima and back into the mountains.  Will have a day of boithday celebrations and then see what sort of punishment we can put our poor quads and calves through this time.

 

Comments

1

BJ
Happy birthday to you, Happy birthday to you, Happy birthday dear Be'en Happy birthday to you. Viva La Piscos
Lots of luv and best wishes

Sue and Dad

  Sue and Dad Jul 31, 2008 9:33 PM

About bagen

Rotto Self Portrait

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.