Existing Member?

Ben and Ange - On the Road

Lake Titicaca

BOLIVIA | Sunday, 6 July 2008 | Views [678]

Ange gets arty.  Again.  Beer on the lake.

Ange gets arty. Again. Beer on the lake.

Our next and last stop in Bolivia was the highest navigatable lake in the world. Lake Titicaca. Located between the borders of Bolivia and Peru it´s over 3800 meters high. It´s also huge... and cold.

Our town on the banks of this very picturesque lake was Copacabana. A very touristy town to say the least. It seems that we couldn´t walk down the street without at least three or four people touting their wares. Not exactly our type of holiday bliss but we somehow managed not to hit any of them.

Away from the touts the place is very peaceful with sun just about all year round and of course the lapping waves of the lake. It is just a place to do,, well,, do nothing. And that is pretty much what we did except for a quick visit to Isla del Sol. Island of the sun.

Located 2 hours by boat north of Copacabana it is, by Inca legend, the birth place of the sun. And it´s still going strong there as well. The island has numerous Inca ruins about the place including a fantastic staircase that leads up from where the ferry dropped us off. The island has no cars and of course no roads so it´s great just for roaming around. Although it is very hilly and given that the hills peak above 4000 meters walking around can be an effort alone.

The view on top of the hills is fantastic though especially at sunset. Our accomodation that night was on top one of the hills so we had to have a few drinks as we watched the sun go down... of course.

So as our time in Bolivia drew to a close what would be more fitting than a little "experience" with trying to get a ferry from one end of the island to the other. Going down to the dock early in the morning to find ourselves a ticket we were mobbed by skippers trying to get our business. All operating private boats mind you so the cost is about five times as much. As we explained that we only wanted to go to the other side of the island they informed us that no ferrys went that way.. Odd? especially when they have to go passed us on their way to the other side. Shrugging it off as a sales pitch we waited for the ticket window to open where the guy did indeed inform us that no public ferrys went that way!!!! Upset at our dilemma we moped for a bit and then decided that it just wasn´t worth it and decided to go back to the mainland. When we went to buy the ticket home what did the guy offer... of course.... ferry tickets to the other side!!!! Oh well.

So that was Bolivia. Only about 5 more countries to go!

About bagen

Rotto Self Portrait

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Bolivia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.