Existing Member?

Ben and Ange - On the Road

Ascensores in Valparaiso

CHILE | Friday, 11 April 2008 | Views [622]

How some of these building don´t come crashing down, I have no idea. They build them where ever they possibly can.

How some of these building don´t come crashing down, I have no idea. They build them where ever they possibly can.

This place is so quirky, retro, ecclectic that it even had me taking pictures of graffiti!

Tis an old coastal city perched on the hills around a bay. Some clever one from way back decided to save the townsfolk from oversized calf muscles and built wee elevator/tram kinda thingys up the hills. So instead of taking a winding route of about a BILLION stairs and steep streets you could go directly from bottom to top for only 100 chilean pesos (about 60c).

The buildings perched on said hills are largely brightly coloured tin (or tin clad - never did find out) houses of many weird and wonderful levels, doors, ledges and windows. The port is BUSY! From the top of any hill you can look down on close enough to 50 ships of various size and purpose in or around the docks.

Spent a couple of days in this bewildering place. Did what we seem to be getting very good at... roamed. Tis such a good way to see the main "attractions" as well us the unexpected delights. For example - finding ourselves in a arthouse kinda cafe for a 3 course lunch of mega gourmet style with a most deluxe Sav Blanc!!! Hmmm yum!

Also continued our fun and games with the language - FINALLY managed to sort out the Fanta - Fanta fiasco. It´s FANTA!

And naturally completed some more of our ever important research and jagged two of the BEST picso sours to date!

Dear lord - sounds like we´re merely eating and drinking our way around this fine continent!

Well actually... come to think of it :-)

Must be time to get some more hiking in!

 

About bagen

Rotto Self Portrait

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Chile

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.