Existing Member?

Discovering the world one step at a time

Luang Prabang

LAOS | Monday, 28 July 2014 | Views [344]

I cannot recommend this stunning town enough.  It has so much going for it. If it wasn't for the lack of an international airport this hidden jem would be spoilt along with Thailand.  

Its a world heritage site for good reason. Beautiful colonial buildings everywhere kept in pristine condition. Many a3e now guesthouses with views of the lust jungle mountains and the mekong river.

One of the best things to do is to get up at 5am (yes sorry) to see the monks morning ritual. About 100 monks make a morning round collecting elms from the locals and taking them to temple. It magical to witness. 

I advice that in order to be respectful,  to keep a distance and cover knees and shoulders.  Lao culture is quite consrrvative so no pda ( public displays of affection).

There arw many grand temples and palace.  It definitely rivals chiang mai for these.  Royal palace is a treat if your like me and craving national trust properties! Haha its 30,000 per person to enter.

The temple on top of the hill is definitely worth the climb, for the view of the city. There is also a cave shrine, Buddha's foot and other artifacts.  Its 20,000k entrance fee. 

Even more spectacular are the waterfalls approx 1 hour by tuk tuk outside of the city. Having seen a lot of waterfalls,  I can honestly say these are the best. Turquoise waters pouring down in cascades. Climb to the top and make your way down. Again jungle views and rolling hills, not a building insight. Perfect, unspoilt beauty! Paradise. We paid 20,000k entrance fee and 25000 to get there.  Oh and theres a black bear sanctuary too-free! 

Other things worth a mention, utopia for casual relaxing drinking and yoga.

The pak caves are ok to see by slow boat down the mekong. There is also elephant rides including washing elephants in the mekong.  

About azariah


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Laos

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.