Existing Member?

Ayla's Adventure

The Market

PERU | Thursday, 7 November 2013 | Views [486] | Comments [3]

Sorry for my last entry, I posted it from a computer at an internet café so I was not entirely sure how to use the Spanish keyboard and had a time limit so it was a bit rushed. Anyways I have gone back and fixed it up if you have a chance. 

Yesterday when I arrived at Niños del Sol, the chef, Sylbea, asked if I would escort her to the market. It was my first time going to the market but it most certainly will not be my last. The market is absolutely stunning! All the colors, fresh foods, inticing aromas, what's not to like? I was in awe because all the food that the people have set up at their stations is grown by them and is organic. It is insane how different food looks when it's not filled with GMO's, pesticides and God knows what else. The carrots here are the size of my forearm! I am also a GIANT compared to everyone. I have to duck to get into most places, (the children have taken a liking to calling me 'the happy giant'). And I must say, I am still in shock at how inexpensive all the fresh, organic food was. All I could think was "jeez how much would this cost at a farmers market in the US?" Now I have started a new tradition. Every morning before I go to thr orphanage, I will try and stop at the market to get a fresh Piña (pineapple) smoothie, and the best part, it costs 2 Soles!

Since my Spanish is not as fluent as I would like it to be, it's hard to communicate with everyone because the only people that speak English are Viviana and Avishai (and hey are not always at the orphanage to translate). Because of this difficult language barrier my days are spent mostly folding laundry and chopping vegetables for the children's lunch. Although it's safe to say this is not as fun as other things I could be doing, I know that once my Spanish improves as well as my relationship with the kids, things will begin to get a lot more interesting. Viviana says I will be able to start teaching the kids English, taking them on day trips to go hiking or explore other cities and maybe create a play with them to show off one day. Today was not too boring, after lunch I got to go play basket (what they call basketball) with José (14 years old). It was quite funny because when Viviana asked if he would like me to join him at the park, he blushed and ran into his room, saying he cdidnt have a basketball or couldn't find it. Apparently he's the shyest boy out of all of them. 

Today it was also great because I found the holy grail of gringos! There is a volunteer program that a man runs for people all over the world to come and stay and learn the art of organic farming. I met the group of people that will be here for a while like myself. They are all early to mid 20's and speak both English and Spanish. It is so nice to finally have made some friends and have people to go adventuring with on the weekends.

I would be lying if I were to say I wasn't homesick, or that I feel very lonely and out of place, but I know that these things take time to adjust too and if I give up now I will regret it for the rest of my life. As a great Mr. Cole Byron told be through a sobbing FaceTime call, "Every experience, no matter good or bad, is worthwhile, and it separates what is important". It helps a lot to know I have so much support from my family and friends. 

Peace and love for now, 

Ayla 

Comments

1


I so love reading about your adventure. It keeps me wanting more... Thank you for sharing and we would all love more photos...

  Sigrid Nov 7, 2013 1:15 PM

2

Aww Ayla! I miss you so much! Glad to hear that your trip is starting to turn around for you...can't wait to keep reading more blog posts!

  Kiara Nov 7, 2013 3:53 PM

3

I am so excited to read your blog. I think what you are doing is amazing. I'm not at all surprised to hear you are out serving others. You've always been a special lady. Can't wait to read more!!

  Suzann Nov 7, 2013 4:42 PM

About aylariver


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.