Existing Member?

Denise's Adventures in Wonderland

An Ethnography... by me

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 20 May 2008 | Views [500]

It's starting to sink in now. I've been here long enough that I have found my bearings and have come into true observation.  The shock of change has worn off and I am once again in my intellectual element, able to see things through a more objective stance.  It feels good.

I got into a debate this morning; one of controversial anthropology.  Thats not what the people involved recognized the issue as, but I spoke of it as such, it was in fact, a matter of both cultural and physical anthropology perspectives. 

Kroombit Park where I am staying... Is a beef cattle and goat meat farm.  The animals here are for eating. The animals we care for, muster, and work with on a daily basis we later eat.  Now, the people who come through Kroombit are tourists from Europe, North America, and occasionally South America, and a good deal of Vegetarians come through; especially from the States.  So myself and the other staff members were standing round the fire this morning with one of the Tour Bus Drivers whom happens to be an "occasional vegetarian".  He's on and off with it; he says for health and for conservation of animals.  And then it was the debate... Outback Cowboy Ranchers vs. City Boy Bus Driver.  This was very interesting for me to watch and listen to.  I got to see what these people think of people like me and the Tour Bus Driver. I saw what I look like from the other side of the fence.  Being a person who has never been fully immersed in Agricultural living and work before now, I have never been able to see things the way I did today in the debate.  It really opened my eyes.

You see, I have always hung around the hippies, the progressives, the international travelers, the new age thinkers, the academics, the musicians and artists, and your typical New World type of people.  I guess I have always looked down on the Cowboy, considering him an outdated and brutish type.  I admit to my clear stereotyping.  I've always poked fun at the rednecks and cowboys and people who only listen to country, thinking they were so different than me.  And now I have found myself immersed in their culture. 

I don't think I would have been open enough to enter Cowboy culture in the US as I have always felt great disdain for the political and social opinions of the Country Folk of the US... whom I know for prejudice and racism, abuse of women, children, and animals, and general ignorance of the world. They are the people who think war is good, that Big is ALWAYS Better, and that don't believe in being open minded.  Thats what I've witnessed of country people back in the States. I know their are good people in the country and rural areas, but I have a hard time ignoring all the people who've made a bad name for the cowboys and ranchers of the US. 

So here I am in Australia, living the Cattle Rancher lifestyle, wondering to myself how I see it now.  And I must say, it is far different than I thought, and I mean in a good way.  The Aussie Cowboy (originally called a 'Ringer' before Americanization of Australia) is somewhat like the stereotype back home.  They smoke, drink a lot, swear a lot, and love country music. But there is a gentility to them, a quiet and subtle nature that calms a wild brumby horse when they saddle them, and pets the big billy goat on the head when nobodys looking.  There is something about them that is very different then the people walking around cities going from their cubicle to the cafe or city pub.  And I've never heard anyone say anything about it.  No one has ever mentioned the actual Zen calm of a cowboy; able to stare a fierce bull in the face and escape a horn goring their gut with the most natural agility.  No one talks about how they know the land, the animals, and the reality of life better than most of us far removed from even the animals we eat on our plates every night.  I have discovered so much about this life that I would have never known looking in from the outside.  I have an enormously new found respect for the people and the lifestyle I have previously shunned.

I must say that I am absolutely full of joy being here.  The Sandiland family which includes Alan and Carol, owners of Kroombit and Parents/Grandparents to 2 kids (Brent and Kerri) and 2 grandchildren (Jesse, 3 and Kayla, 6) have taken me in as well as the rest of the staff.  The Staff is made up of 7 other girls my age that are local or from Europe, Canada, and the US, one guy from Britain, Wendy and Johnathan and their daughter Cassy from New Zealand.  And we are a big family.  We listen to country music and eat lots of steak, and I love it. 

Little Jesse and Kayla running around with over 15 people to take care of them and staying up late with Kerri and her husband Andrew (parents to Jesse and Kayla), drinking their home brewed beer till 2 in the morning on the veranda.  Life is good.  I live close to the land, understanding it's cycles and riding horses through the bush everyday.  I watch gorgeous sunsets breaching the tree topped hills on horseback at the end of a successful goat muster and have endless moments of awe.  I feel connected and complete.  And I know this is why I was supposed to come here.  I knew Australia had something in store for me; but I never knew it could be so good.

I will never look at a cowboy the same way again; and that is a good thing.

All my Love,

The Cattle and Goat Rancher Cowgirl,

Denise

About awesomehossom


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.