Existing Member?

Away2Travel Accidentally traveling around the world...

Living in an Ashram in India

INDIA | Saturday, 1 March 2014 | Views [681]

Living in an Ashram – Rishikesh

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

While the Indian Railways booking system is the tiniest bit confusing we have finally managed to figure it all out and we confidently boarded our train despite having only one confirmed ticket. The train conductor gave us the okay to break all cultural taboos we have so respectfully honored the past two months and sleep in the same bunk for the 13 hour train ride to Hardiwar.

Screen Shot 2014-03-30 at 5.22.57 PM

An hour on a bus and we arrived in Rishikesh. I had previously spent a considerable amount of time coordinating a volunteer exchange so that we could give our piggy banks a bit of a breather. The agreement was to create a blog and exchange photographs for a one to two week stay in what we thought was going to be a yoga retreat and teacher training center in Rishikesh.

Well, long story short…this is India. We ended up at an unknown place, living in an ashram nestled on the banks of the Ganga.

If anything this trip has given us the opportunity to play chameleon and quickly adapt to the most ridiculous scenarios and situations.

So we settled in, called it home, and were quite happy. We are learning that being patient is always a good idea, and that one should always try something once, even if it’s not what we thought we signed up for.

Our 10 Days in Rishikesh…

IMG_0833

Every morning I would go to yoga, taught by Yogi Ji at Mahatma Yoga Ashram.

IMG_0941IMG_0921IMG_0929IMG_0912

Everyday breakfast was at 10:30 a.m. Naturally, we would drive the kitchen staff mad every morning by consistently showing up late. At the beginning of each meal, I would take photos and record the recipe before enjoying the Aloo Parantha, fresh juice, coconut porridge or Banana Honey Dosas. Yumm. We’ve definitely managed to recover those couple of pounds lost the previous week being disgustingly ill with Indian tummy bugs.

IMG_0990Mahatma-105Mahatma-107IMG_1018

After breakfast we would then lolly-gag around the grounds and enjoy the tranquil views before surrendering to our caffeine addiction.

IMG_0802IMG_0836IMG_0839IMG_0841IMG_0842 IMG_0888

Each day, the next few hours were spent at the German Bakery on the west side of the Ganga.

IMG_1022IMG_1024IMG_1026

We would watch the dozens of monkeys attacking children and women on the bridge while enjoying some of the best coffee in Rishikesh.

Rishikesh has incredible shopping. Sure, Rishikesh is relatively small compared to some of the other cities we have been, but the selection of colorful clothing, singing bowls, soft sarongs, yoga accessories and silver charms make shopping accidentally easy. Somehow all these items ended up in box headed home…

IMG_1009IMG_1014IMG_1016

Lucky for the Indian Post, there were no drawer-knobs to be found so that helped lighten the scale when it came to shipping time.

There are some vegan bakeries and amazing cafes in Rishikesh that are overly inviting, and oftentimes we ended up spending hours of our day drowning in oversized floor cushions without noticing a minute had passed.

Afternoons were enjoyed inside the most incredible bookstores in the world. Imagine a bookstore shelving every title you have ever wanted to read or never wanted to lend out. Ayurveda, yoga, religion, cooking, life and books asking questions which ignite every single snoozing neuron. All these and more waited patiently on the shelves as my fingers gently ran across the hundreds of appealing spines so neatly organized.

The bookstores, those were my favorite part of Rishikesh.

Books is still a topic where I act 80 years my actual age and add 4 kilos to my backpack – I simply refuse to exchange a paperback for pixels. To physically turn a textured page, fold a corner, read and re-read or have the ability to curiously flip to any page I desire, gets me so excited its teetering on inappropriate.

So I bought a few books…

While sitting in The Little Buddha Cafe overlooking the speedy Ganga, I began my two new books, Light on Life and Light on the Yoga Sutras by B.K.S. Iyengar.

By about 1:30 p.m. everyday lunch was served back at the ashram.

IMG_1028

IMG_0989IMG_0947

We enjoyed dal, mix veg curry and rice most days of the week. The rest of the afternoon was usually spent in a carb-induced snooze alongside the dogs enjoying the tranquility of the joint.

IMG_1030IMG_1035IMG_1012

On most evenings we would venture back out over the bridge and explore, shop, read, eat and chill.

IMG_0828IMG_1024IMG_1026IMG_1075IMG_1073IMG_1076IMG_1071IMG_1072IMG_1073IMG_1074

In the evenings I would head back into the yoga room for a 90 minute class before surrendering to the rest of the night.

Days were perfect and predictably always too short.

Other variable activities thrown into our days included yoga on the beach, hikes up to see the sunrise over the mountains and a trip to the Ashram the Beatles called home for a few months in the 1960s.

IMG_0841IMG_0842IMG_0868 IMG_0856IMG_0849IMG_0844IMG_0885IMG_0878IMG_0905IMG_0962IMG_0963IMG_0977IMG_0976IMG_0981IMG_0970IMG_0982IMG_0985

Headshot tiny-4-2Headshot tiny-2-2Headshot tiny-4Headshot tiny-3-2Headshot tiny-3Headshot tiny-5Headshot tiny-7-2Headshot tiny-2Headshot tiny-7Headshot tiny-12Headshot tiny-14Headshot tiny-8Headshot tiny-13Headshot tiny-11Headshot tiny-16Headshot tiny-9Headshot tiny-10Headshot tiny-15Headshot tiny-17Headshot tiny-18Headshot tiny-19Headshot tiny-24Headshot tiny-23Headshot tiny-22Headshot tiny-21Headshot tiny-20Headshot tiny-25Headshot tiny-26Headshot tiny-27Headshot tiny-31Headshot tiny-30Headshot tiny-36Headshot tiny-34Headshot tiny-33Headshot tiny-32IMG_1077IMG_1094IMG_1129

At the end of the day, the people at the ashram were all amazing. Our time there was absolutely perfect.

As we begin to mentally prepare ourselves for our departure from this country, Rishikesh served as the perfect supportive platform to breathe, reflect, connect the dots and digest all the sub-continent has dished up.

Rishikesh, I will see you in the future!!!

Tags: ashram, budget travel, india, rajasthan, rishikesh, travel

About away2travel

Zambia

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.