Existing Member?

Murph's adventures

Kompong Cham

CAMBODIA | Friday, 30 March 2012 | Views [474]

Nice rivertown, used it to break up the bus ride from Phnom Penh to Mondulkiri (Sen Monorom).  Went across the bamboo bridge on a bicycle to a HUGE island, with hundreds of kids yelling out "Hello!", which is always cool.  Hired a very good mountain bike for 6000 riel from Mekong Lazy Daze bar for the arvo, the girls I went with paid $1 for old bicycles with faulty brakes, which was a bit dangerous for them on the way down to the bamboo bridge as its bumpy and steep and they weren't exactly Cadel Evans.  

Cost 2000 riel for a 2-way pass to go onto the island and then be able to leave (can't I stay? - No.")

Also cost 2000 riel to enter the beach area, but later realised you can kinda swim anywhere if you just dump your pushie somewhere and climb down the side to the sand flats, its all pretty clean looking (although maybe there's a massive sandcrab waiting to drag you down). 

Big market in town too.

Stayed at French owned Mekong Sunrise, which (take note) is the only place that keeps its doors open past 11pm when I was there, as the owner Cedric is a social guy who likes to stay up and have a beer, AND he had draft beer - hooray!!!  

Mekong Sunrise also had good food which was cheap compared to the other places.  Room was $5 with shared bathroom, pretty basic, would have taken upstairs for $7 but it was MASSIVE (basically the whole level, just split in half) , a good deal with hot shower but I was by myself and it just would have been weird (and unsociable) to have that much space to myself after sharing shoeboxes with others.

Nice place to cycle around, has a strangely huge bridge, and alot of infrastructure like sealed roads and paved riverfront, and streetlights.  I heard it was where Hun Sen was born and apparently his brother is the governor of this place too.  Got a lot of big mansion looking places too.  

There are some other things to go to, like a big temple and a "man" and "woman" mountain, but i didn't go to the mountain after having seen so many "must see" attractions.  Nice place to chill but so you don't have to do a straight 10hour bus ride from PP to Mondulkiri.  

Tags: kompong cham, mekong river, mekong sunrise

About aussiemurph81


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.