Existing Member?

August & Tim Sth America

El Calafate and beyond

ARGENTINA | Wednesday, 6 February 2008 | Views [827] | Comments [1]

Well hope ye are all still reading this and not too bored by our writing skills and story telling qualities!!!

From Puetro Madryn we got on a 20 hour bus trip to El Calafate with a stop off in Rio Gallegos for a few hours, it is not advisable to get a 20 hour bus trip with 3rd degree saddle sores on the seat of your pants from the ride to hell!!

El Calafate is a lovely little place that dosent get dark til after 11 and people dont start going out til it is dark, I suppose this is good in summer but it must be great in winter when it barely gets bright for a few hours.Not that this made a difference to us on the 1st night as we crashed and burned after the bus trip but had to listen to a 6 piece brass band playing happy birhtday in the next room as it was the hostels birthday!! Good music is easy to listen to anytime!! El Calafate is the gateway town to one of the only advancing glaciers in the world and we duly took a day trip to see it on Saturday.It is an amazing site and a bloody cold place but after an hour it is just like looking at an ice cube! we took a boat trip down to the front of the glacier and it is pretty intimaditing looking straight up at a 60 meter ice face.After our trip we rushed out to see Ireland v Italy which had fineshed 3 hours previously, caught out by the time difference again.All that was left for us to do was get well and truly pissed which we managed to do before it even got dark, tragic!

Spent a night in Rio Gailegos en transit to our current location Baraloche, Not much good to say bout Rio Gailegos so wont say a bit!! Arrived in Baraloche which is still in Patagonia but is so different to being further south.It is the second biggest city in Argentina and is almost like being in New Zealand with the mountains and lakes, also has a good vibe to it as there is two universities in town so should get to party here but hopefully we last til it gets dark here!!

Well tomorro has us heading off on a snorkeling/kiaking/trekking tour for the day and the following has us doing white water rafting then we head for Chilie to Pucon to do a volcano hike and hot springs, Jealous?

Until then mes amigos Hasta Luego 

Tags: planes trains & automobiles

Comments

1

Hola Chikos
Enjoying your stories. Did you end up trekking in Torres? Bariloche must be a completely different town in summer, we loved it under snow but are jealous of you guys playing on the lake etc. Pucon is great too.

Ahhhhh the memories. Keep living it up, sounds like your doing a pretty good job so far....

Necesito mirar mas photos!
Ciao
Castles and Lizzie

  simon_castles Feb 6, 2008 9:26 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.