Existing Member?

Where in the World is....Audra

stinky shanghai....

CHINA | Wednesday, 30 January 2008 | Views [444] | Comments [1]

Two weeks ago, I arrived in Shanghai, China.  What a sad change from life in Greece at the Silva Project.  My world is now surrounded by giant buildings, honking cars, thousands of taxis, millions of people on bicycles…a city with little culture of its own.  It has been cold here (yesterday it snowed, giving us a snow day at school…not so good for me as it deprives me the potential gain of $120 for teaching).  Though I complain about the weather, it has affected me very little as I have been ill since a few days after my arrival…the “Asia Bug” it is often called.  Nauseous, yet with an inability to actually “get sick” I have become great friends with Jen and Mike’s “Love Sac”.  Work has been scarce, only working a total of 6 days in the last 2 ½ weeks.
Though despite my complaints, there have been some good, and even joyous experiences. On top of being granted work for 6 days….I was blessed to be here when Jennifer and Mike got engaged! I was able to get the most marvelous one-hour foot/shoulder/head massage for the equivalent of $11.  I have been able to meet individuals who travel to teach and offer great stories with recommendations for inspiring locations. I was privileged to visit a local orphanage with Jennifer and some of her students, holding, for what seems like way too short of a time, a few babies, offering my silent blessings for a life of feeling loved and being given future opportunities to succeed.  At this same orphanage I was greeted by some of the older (teenage) orphans, who bumped into me in the hallway and could hardly contain themselves when telling me “Hi” “Hello” and “You’re lovely” in English, before literally skipping off and jumping down the hallway in all of their excitement.  
So, all in all, though not what I had hoped for regarding cultural and monetary gain, there have been lasting memories, that will make me smile forever, in this trip to Shanghai.  
Next will be Beijing, where I will visit my cousin, Reid.  I have left the agenda to him and his ability to be a creative “tour guide”.  So far, as planned, I will be arriving in Beijing on Saturday night and hanging out with he and a friend on Sunday.  Monday and Tuesday I will be left to explore Beijing on my own and then Wednesday the New Year festivities begin!  This is the year of the Rat, so maybe I will be able to finally come to grips with my traumatic mice incident back in Denver!  After the festival we will be taking an overnight train to an ancient Chinese town until Sunday, when we both (hopefully) fly out of Beijing to our respective destinations.  I will be flying to India for an experience that I will describe in an upcoming blog.  I feel that this upcoming trip to India is where I will not only be challenged, but I will also find comfort in working with the community that I have had the unbelievable opportunity to be connected with.  My heart has been longing for that service and that connection to those deemed unworthy of connecting.  As always, we’ll see where that next venture leads me….

Tags: Misadventures

Comments

1

I love reading your entries they have such a beautiful flow, yet so intimate and personal.

  TaWanna Jan 31, 2008 5:00 PM

About audi_jo


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.