Existing Member?

A Thousand Miles 12 Volunteering Projects. 6 Continents. One Amazing Trip.

Welcome!

UNITED KINGDOM | Thursday, 22 March 2007 | Views [455] | Comments [1]

First of all, thanks for stopping by! It's great to see you.

As a fellow traveller I'm sure you understand what it means when we say that we love to travel. Some people travel to get away from it all. Others travel because their boss told them to. We travel because it's part of who we are.

What is 'A Thousand Miles' all about?

'A Thousand Miles' is the journey of a group of twenty-something's who travel the world, volunteering as they go and helping local communities. It's all about giving back to the wonderfully diverse mix of communities and people that make our world so fascinating. The plan is to volunteer on conservation projects, looking after wildlife and volunteering in health clinics and schools.

Each leg of the journey will use the most environmentally friendly method possible. We'd rather get a train for 8 hours then fly for 1 hour because that means approximately 400kg less carbon emissions in the air. Sometimes we will have no choice but to fly however we will invest in carbon offsetting to compensate.

At each leg of the journey we're going to be combining a great blog posting (hosted here - thanks World Nomads!), volunteering and some community research.

You can follow our progress and meet people from local communities here - so please come back and visit us soon. We might get lonely otherwise!

The little bit of community research we'll be doing will be to help raise awareness about the issues different communities face - both popular and the not-so-popular. You can count on us to give you some of the most honest feedback anywhere.

We don't want 'A Thousand Miles' to turn into a travel guide. There are some amazing writers out there putting together loads and loads of travel guides that people can read. There's some good ones here that we'll link to as we go along. We hope you get some inspiration or ideas from our travels on places to visit - that's what sharing is all about.

But most of all, we hope to share a journey with you. A journey that uncovers the human face and talks about the issues all over the world some travellers never really see.

There is a lot of planning to do so there is still some time before we head off so please get in touch at any time. Alternatively, you can follow our progress here as we keep you up to date with our planning and trip once we hit the road.

Till then, stay safe and happy travelling.  

'A Thousand Miles' is being sponsored by corporate partners and radio and television organisations. More on these soon.  

Tags: The Planning Phase

Comments

1

Hi Chris,

Welcome aboard! We're thrilled to have your blog here on WorldNomads. Also good to see that your considering your carbon footprint - this is something we did for our organisation's business travel throughout 2006 and offset 117 tonnes. .

You might be interested to look at Footprints program too. We believe that travel fundamentally changes you and opens your eyes to the world. Hence we've set up Footprints to give back to the communities in which we travel and hopefully, make a small, but tangible difference. It sounds like A thousand Miles has a similar philosophy!?

Can't wait to read more

  crustyadventures Mar 22, 2007 1:42 PM

About athousandmiles


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.