Existing Member?

The Real World

My Video scholarship 2010 entry

WORLDWIDE | Friday, 30 July 2010 | Views [216] | Scholarship Entry

1

My short video based on the theme Local Encounters is about the recent time I spend with the charity African Equity at an orphanage in Kenya, called Heroes of the Nation. Everything about the place was heartbreaking and inspiring – the children, the teacher’s dedication, the extreme poverty everyone lived in and the general ‘Hakuna Matata’ attitude.    
Before I went, I thought I had an understanding of poverty; once there I realised I had no idea what it was like. On my first day I decided the best way I could help these kids was by making as many people as possible aware of their extreme circumstances. Though already studying majors in writing and film production, I had no specific career path I wished to pursue. This experience really gave me some direction, and I now wish to help open people’s eyes to the real world – to help them to help others.
I faced a few challenges whilst recording and creating this piece, namely being a complete novice at both documentary and creative filming. However I feel with time, practise, patience and ample opportunity I will be able to achieve something great, and inspire others to do more with their lives.

Tags: 2010 travel video scholarship

About ashwatson


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.