Existing Member?

Another Day, Another Adventure

Finally in Ecuador!

ECUADOR | Saturday, 28 December 2013 | Views [328] | Comments [1]

I have arrived in Quito, Ecuador! The journey was a little nerve-wracking on my own; but I made it through the flight from Minneapolis to Miami sitting next to a crying baby, the five hour layover in Miami, and customs in Ecuador! UMAIE and CEDEI had been so helpful with everything and arranged for Segundo Guerrero to pick me up from the airport and drive me to Otavalo where the rest of the group was located. Sure enough, Segundo was right there holding a sign with my name on it when I exited customs. His wife was also there with him, and they both gave me big hugs. I then quickly communicated that I knew “un poquito Español,” and he quickly communicated that he knew “un poquito Ingles.” I then became even more excited for this drive because it was going to be a great opportunity for me to brush up on my Español and begin the intercultural communication this class is all about!

            Although I was very excited for the communication I was about to have with Segundo and his wife, it was not long before I became frustrated. I had remembered less Español than I thought I had mastered, so I became frustrated with myself and my lack of knowledge of words and phrases I once knew perfectly when I was learning Español in school. Segundo and his wife were very nice and understood I was trying my hardest to communicate with them in Español, so they worked with me by using gestures and simple words. The communication soon became much more effortless as I was getting more comfortable and confident in my language skills and also getting to know them more. I learned they have lived in Quito their entire lives and tend to vacation on the coast of Ecuador. I also learned they have two children: a seventeen year old girl and seven year old boy. When the music on the radio was upbeat and fun, I jokingly suggested we go to a fiesta and salsa dance. I then found out that Segundo’s wife is a very talented salsa dancer! I was so excited with everything I was learning about them!

            This was just the tip of my excitement of this drive because it was not long until I had become intrigued and amazed by the landscape of Ecuador—specifically the Quito and Otavalo area. I did not expect this area to be flat because of the Andes Mountains, but I was still so shocked and impressed by the hilly landscape. The roads were twisting and curving every which way that there was barely any chances to pass the car in front of us. It was quite a culture shock in itself coming from the Twin Cities in Minnesota where the majority of the land is flat. It almost felt like I was on a rollercoaster with all the hills and curves in the road. Another interesting thing we saw during the drive was Lago San Pablo where many Otavaleños only swim in it for fiestas and there are not many fish. We also saw a car accident where it had backed up about a half mile of the road and where policemen and firemen were responding to the scene. Overall, this drive was an experience I will never forget because it challenged me with my intercultural communication skills and I was able to see and learn things I may not have otherwise been able to!

With Segundo Guerreo and his wife who picked me up from the airport

With Segundo Guerreo and his wife who picked me up from the airport

Comments

1

We are glad you finally made it!

  Marianne Jan 7, 2014 5:38 AM

About ashleytg

Sitting on the equator: the divider of the north and south hemispheres

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.