Existing Member?

Aisling Travels 2013 3months volunteering in Hanoi and whatever happens after that

Tet Holiday

VIETNAM | Monday, 25 February 2013 | Views [584]

So its been a while since i have written anything, mainly due to the fact that my laptop keyboard isn't working and makes it kinda hard to write. Currently in the autisim centre so thought id fill ye in on the last few weeks while everyone else is sleeping (everyone goes for a nap for 2 hours every afternoon!)

 

Can't believe its the end of Feb already! The few weeks have been fairly busy. Tet (Vietnam New Year) i was off for 2 weeks so decided to do some travelling down south to where it is hot and sunny :) Firstly went to Ho chi minh city (HCMC) where I met up with Jan. Got a flight with Jetstar and if you think Ryanair is bad for legroom you have no idea. Unfortunately i ended up in the middle seat aswell so I litterely couldn't move for the 2 hour flight. My knees were sticking into the back of the person in front of me, i wouldn't want to be any taller than i am and have no idea how any tall men would manage!

Made it to the hostel, pretty basic but in a good location and everything i needed. Heading off into the sun and heat and went on a tour of the city. Everything within walking distance and as everywhere was decorated with flowers and lanterns for tet it was very pretty and seen loads. Went through a market and the amount of motorbikes was unreal. The traffic in HCMC is worse than Hanoi and it seems to be faster!

Went to the War museum the next morning whice was very interesting but also horrific and all i can say is im very glad not to be american, how people can do the stuff that was done is just unimaginable. Definately worth a visit though and got some good pics with the helicopters, planes and tanks. :)

Did a bit of shopping of course and did a bit of haggling, getting the hang of it but i still prefer to just know the price rather than trying to haggle. Got some nice braclets and couple of t shirts etc. so was productive day!

The next day flew out to Phu Quoc Islands, totally fabulous, sun shinning, white sandy beach and gorgeous sea to swim in. Had a great 4 days relaxing and catching some rays. Went on a snorkelling tour which as included a bit of fishing and managed to catch one although it was pretty tiny lol Awesome day. The islands are nice and quiet, lots of development going on and id say will be fairly built up in the next 5 years or so. Definately worth the trip and might even go back after the volunteering is finished.

Tags: beach, hcmc, phu quoc

About ashbyrne


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.