Existing Member?

Aisling Travels 2013 3months volunteering in Hanoi and whatever happens after that

off I go

VIETNAM | Friday, 18 January 2013 | Views [624] | Comments [5]

Hi everyone

 

this is the start of the first journal I've ever written so should be interesting. mainly doing it to keep everyone at home informed of whats going on with me while I'm away and so I'll remember what I've done. pictures will go up when internet is up to it and when I've taken some.

so that's pretty much why I'm do Im doing this. it's currently 17th Jan 2013 20.45, I've been in Vietnam for nearly two days so will fill you in on what's been happening so far. 

so the journey over was very long but thankfully slept for about half of it. nothing major to report from it. arrived in Vietnam to rain. it's a lot warmer than home but it's wet at the moment and as no where is insulated its kinda cold!! so won't be putting up any pictures of me in a bikini on a beach yet!! 

was collected from the airport by twee (how it's pronounced not spelt) and got taxi back to the volunteer house. so the traffic is mental I don't no how people drive doesn't seem to be any right of way and there is lots and lots of motorbikes, they are the main transportation around here so will definitely be on one at some stage! 

made it to the house, it's in the west of Hanoi in non tourist part which is good to see. the houad itself is grand, basic enough but fine. sharing a room with a Canadian girl Sarah who seems really nice. so pretty much shattered so went to bed for a couple of hourshours. got up bout 12 to twee seeing I wanted food. was totally disoriented and had no idea where I was! managed to make it downstairs to a roomful of people. totally forgot that they use chopsticks to eat in Asia but they had a fork for me for my 1st meal which was rice with a few different dishes that was nice. 

 

a couple hours later met twee who showed me around the area and got a SIM card for my phone have Vietnamese number now so I won't be answering Irish or English numbers but I'm on viber and what's app that are working. otherwise mam has the number or Facebook me. so the place is very busy with loads of people around! crossing the road is a major challenge you kind walk slowly and hope no one hits you!!! the market has loads of fresh fruitfruit Tec but did see a cooked dog which wasnt pleasant, just hoping I haven't had any for lunch!!

 

that evening all the volunteers went out for bun ca which  is a Vietnamese dish like a noodle soup with meat in it and you add spice andsand stuff to it and had a local beer that yes was 20c and tasted lovely! the whole meal costing about 1.20 in total so not bad at all!! 

 

had an early night to try and get into the right sleeping pattern! 

Tags: hanoi

Comments

1

Sounds good so far Ais! Looking forward to next blogg!!

  Rosie Jan 18, 2013 1:46 AM

2

dog is not too bad Aisling we are eating horses here.Your dad was offered a nice price for tucks

  Tom Byrneþ Jan 18, 2013 5:01 AM

3

Hi Ais, love your 'Aislings Travels' - brilliant idea. Cant wait to keep reading... its like a good book you want to keep going. Poor Tux & sparkey would have no chance out there. Piddling rain here and supposed to be snow tomorrow - cat ! looking forward to your next few pages. Take Care x

  Rita Campbell Jan 18, 2013 11:37 AM

4

Hi, Aisling . Glad journey was good.not much differint weather wise. your rain coat came in handy. love Granny XXX

  granny Jan 19, 2013 3:33 AM

5

Hi, Aisling . Glad journey was good.not much differint weather wise. your rain coat came in handy. love Granny XXX

  granny Jan 19, 2013 3:33 AM

About ashbyrne


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.