Existing Member?

Matt & Ash in the Americas

From the Andes to the Amazon.

PERU | Tuesday, 29 December 2009 | Views [582] | Comments [1]

Hi Again

 

So just finished an amazing few weeks of both the Inca Trail and a trip into the Amazon. I will do my best to sum it all up in not so many words, here goes ...

 

The trip started in Cusco where we arrived early in the hope of acclimatising and therefore not dying in our sleep during an encomfortable night in a tent at altitude! The first day or so went fine until I started hearing vague complaints from Ash about not getting to see the ´real´amazon and only going to the wet-lands in Bolivia. We had decided on half a day of running around the tacky tourist shops in Cusco to get each other a few fun but cheap presents for Xmas. As the second day in Cusco grew longer Ash couldn´t stop feeling bad about missing the ´real´jungle. So, in an attempt to lighten her own spirits she did what I fear any normal female would have done and carried out a bout of retail therapy. First she bought some cool drinks mats (number one present crossed off my ideas list!). Next she bought an Alpaca jumper (number two crossed off my ideas list!). Thus, all I was left with for ideas were some crappy candle holders that were impossible to find and a cheap watch which was meant as a joke.

 

The Xmas shopping commenced and, as I´m sure she had hoped, I could think of nothing else but to blow my bank account and buy us a trip into the Amazon for her Xmas present (naturally she still had to have some smaller things to open on the big day!). So yes, in one day we paid off more than half the price of our Inca Trail trip and paid for a 4 day forray to a lodge on an Amazon Tributary in Southern Peru ... as usual, Ash had done rather well for Xmas.

 

To start with I should explain we paid for a fairly expensive Inca Trail trip. We were being responsible tourists and ensuring our guide and porters were not treated like crap. This left us with a rather spectacular, fairly luxuary, camping trip! We recieved 3 course meals for both lunch and dinner, and after leaving camp with all out shit everywhere (we only had to carry our clothes, days water bottler and sleeping bags), the porters promptly break camp for us and run along the trail to ensure the pass us with sufficient time to greet us at the next camp with tents and all set-up, and a fresh glass of juice! Not bad for what was supposed to be a gruelling 4 day trek where we learned what it was really like to be an Inca!

 

Anyway Day one was a fairly leisurly day. We were picked up at 5:30am and set-off for the start of the hike. We arrived in Ollytaytambo to stock up on the necessities of a painted walking stick for Ash, some gloves and some Coca leaves for the altitude. We finally started walking and the day proved to be a very managable 12km without too many hills. Part way along we encountered our first Incan Ruin site, this looked really cool and served to raise hopes of what may be to come. This was all merely preparation for day 2 which is supposed to be the truely testing day.

 

Day 2 was a fairly early breakfast and off we went for a 4 to 6 hour uphill slog, encountering over 3000 stairs and a vertical climb of 1.2km over an 8km distance. This was really tough and towards the top it became a case of resting every 10 steps to catch our breath! Luckily we were all stuffing our mouths full of Coca leaves to ebb the effects fo altitude and give us a little extra energy (It really works and sucks that the leaf is illegal elsewhere because it makes a damn good tea!). With the climb finished we stood at the highest point on the Inca Trail (Warmiwanusca Pass, 4200m). From there it was a really nice hike down to camp 2 in a spectacular valley (Pacamayo). From our camp we had views through the clouds of Glacier so I went to sleep dreaming of skiing!

 

Day 3 is the longest day of trekking (16km) but also offered the best views. We count ourselves very lucky as we didn´t get too wet, unfortunately the ´rainy season´provided constant clouds so the stunning views of surrounding snow capped peaks came reluctantly. We did manage to get a few really amazing views though with the only signs of civilisation the Trail made 500 years ago by the Incas which was still in really good condition and the numerous people we shared the trail with (500 new people each day!). After an early morning pass we dropped down by a lake the shape of South America and came across our third lot of ruins at Sayacmarca. You wouldn´t believe the places the Incas decided to build small communities but it makes for good viewing. We welcomed teh sight of our final camp and the chance to have a shower, although it was a shame to be back amongst power lines and hoards of people after 3 days of fresh air.

 

The final day was a super early start to beat the crowds into Machu Picchu. We waited and waited at the ´Sungate´ for birds-eye views of Machu Picchu but the clouds were holding fast. Finally we all got what we had sat for an hour for, and it was definitely worth it. For the next 3 hours the sun shone giving us awesome views of the ruins. They are undescribable so you will just have to check out our pics. But to give an idea, they are perched on the top of a really steep mountain, with an even bigger, steeper one just behind it. We had a great day there and finished it off with pictures of Llamas before heading on a SLOW train back to Cusco. It did make us feel rather self-rightious being on the train with all the lazy people who had bussed their way there though.

 

Back in Cusco we had a celebratory beer before hitting the hay. We were utterly knackered and had a night bus into the jungle the next day! The bus was one of the worst yet! Rather cramped and really hot, but we made it none the less and set off up the rivier for 3 nights in a jungle lodge. The lodge ws great, bamboo lodges with cool high thatched rooves gave us nice views of the surrounding jungle and allowed us to be woken up to the cacophony of different birds flying around. We had 3 full days in the jungle and saw loads of cool animals. Unfortunately Xmas day brought with it horrendous stomach íssues´ for me so I had to struggle through the trip! We saw 4 different types of monkey (Dusty Tinted, Red Howler, Brown Capuchin and Saddlebacked Tamarin) which were really cool, bats, parrots, macaws and so many more the list could be endless. The guides are amazing, not only being able to tell birds apart from their song before you see them, but even being able to make a lot of the sounds with various whistles! Our guide grew up in a local community and after studying tourism at uni had decided to become a guide. When he realisde 4 months ago he could make more money speaking english he started studying, he is now fluent and starting German! 4 MONTHS! This is the same guy who has been no farther from home than the 12 hour bus ride to Cusco and has only seen the ocean on the TV. It certainly puts our efforts in Spanish to shame. So yes, Xmas in the Jungle was really cool and certainly not a festive season I am likely to forget, no matter how much I would have liked to be home for the first white Xmas in as long as I can remember.

 

Apologies for the spelling mistakes and the length of the article!

 

Feliz Navidad and Feliz Ano Nuevo.

 

Love to all

 

Matt and Ash.

Comments

1

Wow and I thought we had had a good Xmas. What amazing life long memories you will both have. Love the photos and to quote Becky 'A beard quite suits Matt!'
We have all just returned from skiing in La Plagne. Great snow and fantastic area as we were able to ski La Plagne and then take 5 min Vanoise Express across to Les Arcs. Christmas day was a bit frigtening as caught at top of glazier and within minutes very heavy snow, thick cloud and you couldn't see your hand infront of your face! However this pales into insignificance comapred to your obvious adventures.
So apart from seeing Mum and Mike what does the New Year hold for you? Where are you off to now?
Looking forward to reading your journal and finding out. Love to you both. Take care of each other and ENJOY!

  The sharp family Dec 29, 2009 10:34 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.