Existing Member?

Europe

Have you ever felt that you've been to Hell before.?.?.?...

FRANCE | Friday, 22 October 2010 | Views [469] | Comments [1]

Ohh God! If only anyone could have been with me today, maybe it wouldn’t had been so bad. If there has ever been a day in my life where I thought the world was going to end, I thought it was today! If there is a Hell, I think I visited it also. Both of those statements are a little exaggerated, but that’s the only way I could describe how I felt today and what I’ve been through.

I woke up at 4 am to catch the bus to the airport in Dublin. My flight going to Paris was at 6:15am. I got there, half asleep and paid for my luggage to be checked in at one counter, then it being weighed at a different one and soon returning back the other counter. The first initial fee of my luggage was 35 Euro. After it weighing over the limit of 20 Kilos( meaning like 44 lbs.)I was to pay another 100 Euro! I should have right then literally thrown away what I didn’t need. Seriously. I paid it, feeling nauseous all morning and now pissed about that. The gift I had got for Jeff yesterday had to be stuffed in my backpack, it wasn’t fitting in the zipper part so I stuffed it in with my jackets behind the attached book bag. Besides that, in line there was a screaming child. Not just fussy, but screaming and the mom wasn’t trying to ease the child at all. It wasn’t like a 5 minute fit, it was for like 15 mins. while everyone went through security check. I finally got on the plane and took a quick 1hr nap somewhat. We got to Paris- well outside of Paris which is called Beauvais(?). Here’s something I want to bring up. Ryanair SUCKS! This is the company that I HAD booked some cheap flights through and it’s a f*N rip OFF. I booked this flight to Paris for 17 Euro. Okay so let’s add this up. 17 Euro+ 35(for luggage)+100 (being over weight limit)+ 15(to take a bus into downtown paris to catch my train)=167 EURO, meaning $1.37=1 euro! Do the math. A RIP OFF when I could have easily flown with a bigger airline for the same price one way and not had half the trouble! I’m pretty sure of this. Also there was another screaming child on the plane, not in the very front or waaayy behind me but diagonal from me.J

Alright..so after my nap or doze in and out, I woke up before we landed and did get to see the sunrise. This was good for me. I thought of Aunt Cathy and some wise words she would be giving me if I could have been able to call her. It was refreshing for the deeper I entered this dungeon that has no exit. I get off the plane, stand in customs for about 20 minutes, get approved real easy compared to Ireland. The man was friendly from what I understood. Even though he did a double take of the image on my passport and the wreaked young woman in front of him. I go to retrieve my backpack, basically the only one on the thing that goes around. As I’m walking to get it I am praying “please let Jeff’s gift be there, PLEASE!”!! I have this brief moment of relief that it’s there. I get to it and see that just the package is there, no substance! If I have ever made a scene in public as the crazy lady, this was it. No doubt about it, this was it. When I saw that empty container, I grabbed it and slammed it down saying some unladylike words of English. After I expressed those unpleasant thoughts to everyone I then proceeded to let the tears flow. I made my way over to the lost luggage area and just handed the package to her. I’ll go ahead and fill you in on what I got him, it will make it a lot easier. When I was in Dublin yesterday(10/19) I went to the JAMESON DISTERILLY. Thus this being Jeff’s bday, I had come across the perfect gift. I bought him a bottle, but not just any bottle, but you can only get this kind of Jameson at the Disterilly in Dublin. So your thinking okay, you got him some whiskey. Nope, the bottle also has his name on the label! Now that’s a damn good gift. Honestly, I don’t even know if he likes whiskey, I mean we like Crown, and Jameson is damn good, especially since I already drank his bottle….just kidding.J Back to the airport- I handed the lady the container it was in while crying and she said “mam. mam.? calm down, let me see if they have it on the plane.” In my head, I was thinking it was pretty dirty of someone to take my bottle of Jameson and leave the container, just wrong. And then I was thinking, those damn drunks in Ireland snatched it! I was panicking, yes. Good news…they had it on the plane! I then made it to the bathroom to finish sobbing and put a face on and try to feel better because I knew it wasn’t going to get easier until it only got harder.

I went to try the ATM and see if I could get some free wifi to transfer money over from my accounts. See, I didn’t inform you but the lady this morning told me that my card had been declined. I wasn’t out of money, but just needed to transfer some over. This currency thing is a pain in my ass. I then went to the "convert money" counter and gave them American dollars..76$ to be exact and receive only 45 Euros back.shit. Then that’s what I had to pay that EXTRA 100 Euro fee with, plus whatever I had, along with whatever my card would swipe for. I was going to test the ATM to see what I could get out, and that was 20 Euro. That’s when I had to pay the 15 for a bus and I didn’t know that. You must remember, at this point I haven’t had a ounce of liquid or food and I am completely distraught. JOY! J I get on the bus and make it to downtown Paris. I see this other girl and just ask her where the train station is. Of course it wouldn’t be that convenient that, by luck, the train station I need to be at would be close by to where the bus drops me off. I end of having to take the metro or tram to my train station. I have to buy a ticket, which I actually didn’t pay for. Let’s get this straight, I do believe that God is always, in some form, looking out for me. It might not be the easiest, but when He knows I’ve had it and how much more I can really take, He comes through. I was in line once, left the line, came back and heard ENGLISH. I was singing in my head HALLELEUAH! I whipped around so quick and just looked at them like God had sent them. It was this one pretty blonde, very sweet voice and sweet looking. I asked her a question and just showed her my ticket. Then her husband joined her, they looked like a couple that I would want to be. She was real simple and soft looking and her husband wasn’t like Mr. Drop dead gorgeous, but he was an attractive man with concern. They helped me figure out the tram I was to get on and off and back on to get to my final destination. They left and went another direction and we wished each other luck, and I was thinking oh I need more than that! Then the next thing I know, they are back and they tell me that they came back to make sure I make it because they are actually headed the same way. No lie, tears came rushing out again. I was fanning myself trying to explain that I am actually pretty sain and always happy. I thanked them so much! That’s what I needed for one second, was for someone to just hold my hand and guide me, just a little bit. They are a couple from Canada, I think, early 30’s or late 20’s. The husband helped me carry some of my bags and payed for my 1.70 Euro ticket bc I only had 5 Euros left and it doesn’t take bills(notes is what they call them).

Finally making it to the main train station I found a café with FREE WIFI!!!! I sat down, ordered a coffee(3.80 Euro), knowing I had 5 left and got online. I then transferred some money, sent mom a long email, crying while typing it and finally ate a pastry or something that had carbs! All under 5 Euro.

My main train ticket was for 1:53...and I’m glad I decided to ask someone else, both parties not really understanding each other. Mrs. Norma had told me to take the 16:00 train bc there were more train strikes going on. I asked these men sitting beside me and they asked this other couple who happened to be getting on my train at the correct time. Here I am, sitting. Typing and admiring the scenery. I don’t care if I have to sit at the train station until Norma arrives, at least I’ll be there.

I must let you know, throughout all this, on a normal circumstance I would have been through a pack of cigs. BUT considering I haven’t bought any while being here, I didn’t have any or really want one which was GREAT. I know for those who didn’t know or did that I smoked might feel disappointed or even shocked, but this is the reality of it, this is my blog and things aren’t always sugar coated. Good news to those just finding out, I no longer smoke!J An idea that did enter my mind was something else I would have LOVED and payed my last little 2 cent euro with was to poke some shmot. My nerves were out the roof and I sat an imagined how relaxed it would have made me and that I might actually be enjoying my own company.

Alright, now that hopefully the worst part of my day is over or this trip for that matter, I will enlighten you on the little sights of heaven I have seen today.

I find the French and their language just beautiful. I mean beautiful. Everyone is nicely dressed, simple but nice and deep brown eyes for the gentlemen and the ladies have this olive colored complex which I would die for! I’m not a total idiot when it comes to reading French, there are many words that are similar in English, but all I know is Bonjour and Merci. Yes, I have a little booklet, but every time someone says something to you, you casually let them know “hold on, let me pull out my booklet and flip back and forth through pages to a. understand and b. find a somewhat appropriate response.” NO. I did light up when I got to see half of the Eiffel Tower, that was sick! Paris is beautiful, the little time I spent above ground. The sidewalks are wide and they have those trees that always look like they have been burnt because the bark is always peeling. Those trees, we have them too, but they have the perfect leaf for autumn and such a beautiful color of change to them. The buildings are BIG, and detailed, some very modern looking, others antique. I do hate I didn’t get to tour Paris, but I couldn’t and honestly didn’t even consider it. I think that Norma will maybe have a day that she has to go there within the month that I stay with her, and if not I’ll come back when the Eiffel tower isn’t on Tourist Warning for Terrorist attack. Sounds good to me!

I am really enjoying my train ride, the countryside of France is gorgeous! Plus the day is too, big white fluffy clouds in the Carolina blue sky with a world of life underneath it.

I have an older man beside me, he’s nice. Him and this fine looking French man(my range of age) helped me put my backpack above my head. They both struggled, which I found funny.

I could live and study in Paris. Who wouldn’t?

Next problem or lets put scenario: I am kind of freaking out about turning 21. Now that I’ve been here, It’s made me extremely motivated to get my education and schooling done with. I am pretty positive that I want to teach English abroad. I am also pretty positive that I want to be fluent in 3 different languages. That sounds overwhelming to me, just as much as my day was. But that’s what I want. French I would learn first. Then Spanish and Italian are just as easy, and very much the same as French. Not only would this give me options to teach abroad, a year at a time, but then INTERNATIONAL relations. I don’t know the options of actual occupations in that field are, but it has to be wide with a variety. For now I want to come home and get my degree. I guess I’ll live at home for a semester until I get a job and save money. Or maybe I’ll just stay at home to be focused. But oh god, I want my own place again and I want to be IN Charlotte to experience that! It will come together. I really have to make it to Spain, I want to be there sooo bad! The coast, SUN, WARMTH, Abruzzi national park, and none of this scarf stuff. I already have a fat face( or round as some of you would correct me), and it does no good to cover up my neck, only makes it plumper.

I feel better now just so all of you know. This blogging thing is good for me. I mean geez, it’s not like I have a phone where I could just call up any of you and vent, or for that matter, anyone here to listen to it.

Tomorrow is a new day, and I can’t wait to get sleep. I might just pass out as soon as I get there.

MOMMA- You better have responded to my emails! It’s been 2 days and you have me worried!

Love always,

The worn out

Maggie

Comments

1

Maggie, it sounds like you are having a once in a lifetime experience!!! I am so HAPPY for you!!! you really oughta think about publishing your blog - excellent reading! love and miss you - Charlene

  Charlene Oct 23, 2010 2:56 AM

About aroundtheworldigo


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.