Existing Member?

Personal Trip Journal.

Ramadhan : Chiang Mai

THAILAND | Sunday, 13 January 2013 | Views [455]

Last year I had a trip to Chiang Mai. It was on August; coincidently it was a Ramadhan month in Moslem calendar when all the Moslem conducts fasting during the daylight. During my trip, I always visit Mosque in Chiang Mai every evening to encounter the Moslem life.

Chiang Mai, lies approximately 700 km northern Thailand, is a cultural city in Chiang Mai Province. Most of the citizens are Buddhist, while Islam is the minority. There are only 12 Mosque in Chiang Mai that spread all over the city. Moslems culture assimilates among any other culture in the society.

Born and grew up in Indonesia, the biggest Islamic country in the world, lead the trip I had to a new level of experiences. I interacted with as many people I met. From street beggar, who came from Myanmar, to the Mosque caretaker. I try to scratch the Moslem life in Chiang Mai through my images.


 

Hidayatul mosque, the biggest mosque in Chiang Mai during iftar, the moment when Moslem breaking from their fast. There are only 7 Mosque in Chiang Mai, and one to another quite far away. The Moslem community lives near the mosque so they could often come to the mosque. They also open various shops selling Moslem clothes and halal-food restaurant near the mosque.Around 5pm, the afternoon market begins, selling various kinds of foods. The market only occurs on Ramadhan month. An ice cream seller waiting for customer next to some beggars who some of them are kids. Many of those beggars brought along their kids to beg for money. It would increase the compassion for some money-givers.A mosque caretaker distributes foods during iftar (fast breaking). It is a local Moslem culture to serve foods during Magrib for anybody who comes. Using the money from donation, the mosque caretakers prepare tables around the mosque and cook those foods by themself.Mohammad Hasim, a burmesse moslem, is one of hundreds among other Moslem who came to Chiang Mai, Thailand to beg for money during Ramadhan month. Because of his legs disabilities, he begs around Chiang Mai, spending some time in the morning market, mosque, school, or any Moslem community area. He has 2 sons, whom came along with Hasim to Chiang Mai, and 2 daughters who stay Burma. His wife passed away several years ago. During the night they sleep on the road and always come to the mosque during iftar for free meals. Thailand government gives legal and written permit for Burmese Moslem to beg in their country during Ramadhan (30 days maximum).Moslem praying together during magrib after breaking from the fast. After the break, they pray Magrib together. Then come back to the table for having heavy meals, usually rice with some other dishes.

Tags: chiang mai, islam, moslem, muslim, ramadan, ramadhan, thailand

About arifsetiawan


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.