Existing Member?

child's christmas lantern

Chrismas Lanterns In The Eyes Of A Child

PHILIPPINES | Monday, 24 October 2011 | Views [2056]

Christmas Lantern In The Eyes Of A Child

Christmas Lantern In The Eyes Of A Child

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0in; mso-para-margin-right:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

 

I was riding a jeepney (which is a public utility vehicle in the Philippines) one night when I saw this boy wearing a white shirt in one corner of the street. He was alone, sitting on a monobloc chair, and he was waiting for some customer to buy his colorful lanterns. He was somewhat preoccupied and destructed with flying mosquitoes around that would want to bite him. I asked the young driver to stop his jeep and drop me in front area to where this boy is selling his lanterns.

                The boy saw me with smiling face with innocent eyes as I approached him and asked the price of his lanterns. I asked some questions about him, where did he live, why he is alone, etc. Later, he tried to convince me to buy his lanterns but with his efforts and his friendliness I bought one blue lantern. I saw happiness and enjoyment in the face of this little boy when I gave my payment for the item I bought but there was still innocence in his eyes that really touched my heart. I left him afterwards and as I was farther away from him, I took my camera and captured this picture.

                With this photo, it simply showed that even young ones can earn and provide his own living. Christmas is fast approaching; it’s a long celebration here in the Philippines. So many Christmas decors and lights were already displayed in every corner where everyone can sell. But it is striking to see that even this young boy can already sell lanterns on his own in the street. He should be at home; studying his lessons or helping his parents and you might not know some unfortunate events may happen to this boy. This is a glimpse of situation, undeniably common in the Philippines.

                I submit this photo to the competition, to disseminate the importance of life during childhood and what life can offer during childhood. But due to poverty there are hundreds of thousands of children born each year in the world that they have no means to support. Don’t bring a child’s life into poverty.

                I’m the man behind this picture. This was a reflection of life. It is a journey and a battle of everyday’s struggle. I believe we can make a difference. Somehow I showed my humble composition and share the reality and truth around the community with this young boy.

                I believe that my initiative, resourcefulness, uniqueness, and style would bring me to a new height of my journey. Not only being lust for adventures, I really want to be learned and gained knowledge and skills more what this photography scholarship requires. I’m looking forward to meet and interact with new cultures, new places, and new horizons. It is a really big opportunity to travel to South Africa with natural history photographer Jason Edwards.

As Aristotle once said, “It concerns us to know the purposes we seek in life, for then, like archers aiming at a definite mark, we shall be more likely to attain what we want.”

To God Be The Glory!!

 

Tags: christmas, lanterns

About arielrabanes


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Philippines

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.