Existing Member?

Taste-test After thinking about it for quite some time, I am finally "stepping into the void". Starting in April, I will be departing my everyday life and going into explore mode for a year. For now, I am planning to be in Eastern Europe for the summer '07, and southeast Asia for the winter of '08. But, of course, things could change. Please bookmark this site and join me in my adventure.

Doubts

USA | Monday, 26 February 2007 | Views [693] | Comments [1]

Chelsea loves a new tennis ball

Chelsea loves a new tennis ball

I'm getting the impression that people think that my trip is going to end up getting cut real short due to getting burnt out or homesick or something of the like. I can definitely see why people think this, and if I am honest, I would say I do have my own doubts about it as well. I still believe though, that it won't be the case. I think that left to my own creative devices, I will always find ways to stay productive and keep things interesting and worthwhile. There's a few different avenues that I'm taking to make sure I'm finding adventure and staying productive. One, I'm looking for events and festivals. Ever since my sister got me started with snowshoe racing, now I'm interested in finding cross-country, bicycling, running, anything really, type events to keep me in shape and providing a cool avenue to meet people and see places. The other thing are local or regional festivals -- for example I'm planning to time my arrival to Moscow for a big festival there. This is another avenue that I may want to work for these events.. which brings me to the next component of the trip which is to find odd jobs and/or volunteer work. Wherever it is that I choose to nest for a few months at a time, I'm going to be looking for interesting work. Maybe I can work at a bar or cafe, or work on a tour boat (yes I know I get sea sick), volunteer for a local AIDS support organization, or help someone build their house.. WHATEVER. I'm up for anything. Thirdly, I am planning to explore the limits of my creative abilities. I know I have decent artistic and writing ability, but I don't know if I can be great. So, I may try some travel writing, and possibly send to publications, may try writing short stories or long stories... I don't think I'm much for poetry. I also want to try creating art.. painting basically. I have a good friend Tam who uses water colors on silk.. its really pretty and I can roll it up and take it with me. The fourth area is to hitch up with other travelers or locals that are doing fun stuff. Whether its going on a trek somewhere, fishing, boating, or just going out dancing. As a part of that I will be networking to make friends and possibly professional connections. It is possible my career could take a different direction after this and some of the connections or discoveries that I make could impact this. So I think that about covers the scope of what I'll be looking to do. If after trying to do all that stuff I am still homesick or burnt out, I will not have a problem with coming home if that is what I want. I'm hoping its not the case.

Tags: Philosophy of travel

Comments

1

Mate,
The feeling on the day when you close the door with just a rucksac on your back and the world is wide open to you is a feeling that everyone should experience just once in their life.

Travel changes you in ways deeper than anyone who hasn't travelled will ever know.

Enjoy!

  simon_monk Feb 26, 2007 9:16 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.