Existing Member?

2 go mad in india the beginning

raise the roof

NEPAL | Friday, 6 April 2007 | Views [797]

We're in Nepal yay!!!! And what an amazing journey it has been. Staying in McLeod I had forgotten how much I love travelling. We left Delhi in the afternoon and got onto our sleeper train and it certainly wasn't the best ride we have had. The train didn't move for a few hours half way through the journey don't know if it had broken down or what oh well. Then one of the guys who was in our sleeper compartment would not stop staring at us. We are used to the usual curious looks and really don't mind as we realise we must look strange with our white skin and Soph being a blond and all but he was just weird. So we got up onto the top bed and just stayed there out of his way for most of the journey.

Anyway during the journey a young Tibetan guy came and asked us if we were travelling to Nepal and would we like to share a jeep to the border with him and his mates so ofcourse we were up for it. They were a group of teenagers ( 8 boys and 2 girls )from the TVC (Tibetan Children's Village) where a lot of the  kids are either orphans or have escaped Tibet, and they were going on their annual holiday to Nepal. They had done the trip many times so we knew we were in good hands. Their ages were from 16- 21 and they were very streetwise, one of them put a knife down his trousers put he assured us it was just for our protection as there have been cases where the drivers try and rip them off etc, and I must say we both felt absolutely safe and had no reason to disbelieve them.  I loved the fact that they smoked cigarettes only when travelling as they said it made them look tougher!!! Fuck knows how hard I look then as I am puffing away!

So after lots of bartering we all squeezed into the jeep. They all spoke fluent Hindi and some Nepalese which always helps when you are trying not to get ripped off over here me thinks.  The jeep ride was great but about a kilometre from the border the jeep packs up and will only drive in 1st gear, so we all get out and walk the last bit to the border. And then yay we are in Nepal!! I love it here already. Anyway we go and get some grub and one of the boys, Captain they all called him as he seems the hardest ( he smokes loads of fags ) and is kinda in charge tells us we can get the bus to Kathmandu with them. Awesome coz me and Soph didn't really have a clue where we were going. So we get on the bus and we are sitting there waiting but there is a commotion going on outside with about 7 backpackers who have tickets but there is no room on the bus. Ooopps think we might be sitting in the seats so after about half hour we all pile off the bus, our badass gang of 12 and get up on the roof rack with the luggage!! And that is how we travelled for 6 glorious hours to a  place called Mugly. It was wicked with the wind blowing in our hair and holding on as the bus snaked up the mountains. Also the views are great on the top of a bus. It made me think how many rules and regulations there are at home. If that happened in London someone would be facing a lawsuit.  Anyway we have now decided in future we want to be put on the roof rack for the rest of our journeys round Asia.


We get to Mugly and Tashi (his pics are in Nepal album) is staying in Mugly too so the three of us share a room for the night (We'd of been locked up for that at home ). He is only 16 and a real sweetheart. His mother died giving birth to his brother who is a high lama, and his father died when he was 15 of cancer so he came to the TCV to get an education as he wants to be a doctor and find a cure for cancer. Some of the kids at the TCV get sponsered but when we asked what he would do if he couldn't get the money he said he would make a concert to raise money for his studies. If I ever hear another student at home moan about how hard done by they are I might have to whack them.  He is just a sweetie and I really hope to stay in touch with him and see if he makes it. I think he will as he seemed very determined.   We left him the next morning but not before he sorted us out a ride in a van for a good price ( bless him ) to Kathmandu and here we are. We are staying in Bouddha which is a Tibetan place. It has a reception centre here for all the refugees fleeing Tibet. We are staying by a huge stupa and there are loads of monks here.  The stupa is absolutely enormous and has loads of gorgeous prayer flags draped all over it .We love it. Anyway we need to get going soon as we start our 10 day introductory Buddhist course at Kopan monastery today and need to be there for 5.30.  So need to get me head round the fact that there will be no booze or fags for 10 days!! Anyway love to you all xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Tags: Adrenaline

About anniekaka


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Nepal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.