Existing Member?

The Edge of Glory My travels to Myanmar (Burma); Angkor Wat; and Krabi

I love Siem Reap!!

CAMBODIA | Monday, 25 June 2012 | Views [807]

Yeah it's a bit hot and humid (this is an understatement!!) but it has been worth it!!! Angkor Thom, Angkor Wat, Ta Prohm, Bantrey Srey, and Bayon temples are absolutely magnificent temples. 

Endless corridors and galleries, steep stairs even for my tiny feet but once you get to the top and see the stunning view-all you want to do is remain there. The beauty of each temples not only exist because of the stunning architecture, the passion and craftsmanship behind each sculpture but even more so because of its great fall. Abandoned and neglected and left for the forest to occupy it. Roots pierced through these temples causing the structure to collapse but somehow it draws beauty to it.

I bought a bottle of champagne for myself for dinner at a local restaurant that also puts on traditional Khmer dancing such as the Fishing Dance and the Apsara. Then I headed for the night market and gave myself a 30 minutes feet/leg massage and pedicure for $6!!!!! $1 USD = $4,000 Khmer Riel!!!! Took a jetty to Tonle Sap the day before. There was this very young child who had a python around her neck!! Took a picture of her and gave her $1. 

I also woke up at 4:30am to see the sun rise at Angkor Wat-damn tourists!! I got there at 5am and there was about 200 people already. Came back to the hotel at 8amish and passed out til 1:30pm!!! Tomorrow I am going to go to the local market, buy a sack of rice or two, maybe some produce then head for the village to give these folks food. 

BTW-call it serendipity because it is!! On my way to Bantay Srey Temple (a 30-40min ride out of Siem Reap)-I came across a traditional Khmer countryside wedding!!! I took pictures and gave the very young couple (18) $40 USD as a wedding gift and gave them my blessing. She was gorgeous!! I was VERY happy to have come across this by accident. 

Well I am going to go take care of my MANY insect bites!!! Until then-all my love.

About annakkham


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.