Existing Member?

Colors of the world

The children of Uros

PERU | Sunday, 26 May 2013 | Views [286]

The Titicaca lake is situated on the Andes, at the Peru - Bolivia borders, and with its 3,812m of surface elevation is the highest flotable water mass in the world. Near the Peruvian coast are notable the Uros islands and their native Quechua people, with the major caracteristic that they are made by floating reeds. There are 44 islands,close to the townport of Puno.Lately these islands have become an important turism attraction of Peru, so there are many organised tours tours from Puno to some of them.In a certain way this touristic activity have helped the population of Uros, especially the children that participate to the improvement of their life-standard, selling their drawings to the tourists.Also they don not miss the school, as they use small tradiotional boats made by the same material,reeds, to get to the nearest coast in order to go to their classes. I shot these photos on August, 2003 with my Canon Powershot compact camera, with the opportunity that I had to be there as a Tour Leader for Latin America adventure travels and I enjoyed a lot the contact I had with that people.

Tags: puno, quechua people, titicaca lake, uros islands

 

About anitakappa


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.