Existing Member?

LucyEthel Takes a Trip “Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living.” Miriam Beard

Day 12

USA | Sunday, 21 March 2010 | Views [513]

Day 12

Today was the last day for the entire group to be together.  Tomorrow, 26 of us are going to Zimbawe and the rest are heading home.  It has been a good and interesting time with people from various parts of the States.  We are very different!

Early this morning we set out to Soweto.  It is 55 square miles and has 3.5 million people living there.  The socio-economics are deep poverty to more millionaires per square mile than any other city.  We were able to take a walk through the streets; everyone was very friendly and seemed to be fine with our intrusion.  We went to our 'local' guide's home.  His wife was mopping the floor but said it's ok, she'd finish later.  So 44 people traipse through the 4 room matchbox house and the wife is just smiling like she's so happy we're there.  The living/dining room was combined with the dining room table took up most of the space.  There were twin beds in one room (3 children) and a single bed in another.  The kitchen was small but equipped.  The backyard was very tiny.  

Our next stop was Nelson Mandela's home, which became a national site in 2009.  He tried to live there when he got out of prison but it was impossible.  The media was causing problems in the community so he moved to the upscale gated community of Haughton.  He is 90 and very frail so he doesn't get out much.  Desmond Tutu has a house down the street but he stays mostly in Capetown.  It was a great experience to visit this community that I heard about in the '70's.  

Next we visited a museum of memorial for the students that died on June 16, 1976.  This was the beginning of a revolutionary time and unrest traveled to many other communities in South Africa.  This memorial has a specific dedication to a 13 year old boy named Hector Pieterson.  He was shot by policemen and was picked up by another young man and carried away from the riot.  He is the representative of all killed that day and the community agreed that his death and memorial service would be considered the service for all.   The young man that carried him away from the riot left South Africa and has never been seen again.  The memorial facility is very moving.  I had a chance to talk to a native teacher that was visiting the memorial and I learned from her that the hope is that education will open the minds of everyone.  She recognizes that some people want revenge (Winnie Mandela) but most want to reconcile and just move forward.  She said that many whites stood with the blacks but it was impossible to do anything against the government.  The whites were afraid too.  So in the end, she believed there are just good people and people that want to be angry.

Finishing up the a.m., we went to a curio distributorship and bought stuff we didn't need.  Later on, we met for a farewell dinner (or welfare dinner, as some call it).  The food was excellent again.  Since we leave very early in the morning, we bid our fellow travelers good-bye and packed for the early flight to Zimbawe.

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.