Existing Member?

LucyEthel Takes a Trip “Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living.” Miriam Beard

I Made It!

USA | Wednesday, 23 September 2009 | Views [295] | Comments [1]

So far, Lucy hasn't shown her face on this trip.  I know it's early but I have managed to get from KC to Newark to Madrid without any hitches.  Once I got to Madrid, it was walk, walk, walk, from the terminal to the subway.  My ususal first challenge is buying a ticket for the subway and this time was no different.  However, once I figured out to press the ENGLISH button, things went much smoother.  I bought a ticket for 10 trips which should easily cover me through Friday and maybe beyond.

The metro was clean and not really crowded probably because it was 11 a.m. by the time I got on.  I had to make 2 transfers and didn't get on the wrong direction either time.  Yea!  I found my hotel easily because it's right across the street from the metro stop Puerta de Toledo.  My room is small, of course.  If I gain 5 lbs. I won't be able to get the doors shut on the shower.  I immediately cleaned up, went for a quick walk around the area to find bottled water and snacks.  There is a nice restaurant here at the hotel along with a snack bar and very nice bakery.  And best of all, free internet in my room. 

So, now it's time for a nap and then more exploring later.  I need to watch some tv to see what the next shows will be in the US, since we tend to rip off the Europeans for some of our most famous shows, ie. Dancing with the Stars, Deal No Deal, etc.

Oh yes.  The young man that checked me in to the hotel visits Muncie Indiana regularly.  He said I am the first person he has ever checked in from Indiana (because that's what it says on my passport).

Hasta luego.

Comments

1

Woo-hoo! I'm so-o-o-o happy to hear that you made it. That walk through Barajas IS interminable. I think it's a kind of informal entry assessment; if you can't make it to the baggage claim they just put you on a plane back to where you came from.

After your nap I want to see some pictures...

  Kathryn Sep 24, 2009 1:43 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.