Existing Member?

anita

Fête de la vie

FRANCE | Tuesday, 8 December 2009 | Views [780] | Comments [2]

This last weekend I took a whirlwind trip to Lyon for the Fête des lumières, the annual light-spectacular that takes France’s second-largest city by storm with thousands upon thousands of visitors filling up hotels in the greater 20km area. Rooted in the celebration of the Virgin Mary (December 8), the tradition has turned into a fantastic display of light and color projected against historic buildings, dramatic music accompanying the strange series of whimsical images.

It was weird. But cool as well. Here you can see the same building at different points during this particular 7-minute show.

Because of the lack of hotels available Saturday night (the first night of the 4-day festival), we (Julien, Loreto, Victor, Ingrid, and I) thought it might be a worthy challenge to stay up the night partying with the alleged-fellow-all-night-partiers that made up the festival. By 1:30, however, everybody had cleared out, and above all, it was cold, so at 2am we started the multi-hour drive back to Bourges, leaving the car to rest at almost 7am exactly. Somehow Julien and I managed to drive the whole trip (our companions snoozing away in the back!) and felt no shame sleeping the rainy morning away.

***

Life has been, as my ever-cheerful Chilean roommate describes, very “tranquila” ("tranquil" for those who may not have caught that).  It could be the early night-fall or the crappy weather, or it could be the general society, but the nightlife of even Bourges (a city of 70,000+) has a bit to be desired. By 7pm, the streets are empty, and everybody is shut up in their houses, doors locked, shutters closed...silence. I’ve at least now found my own hole-in-the-wall to call home, a place where I can snuggle up to my humming computer to chat with friends online and look at pictures, read articles online, etc; the best of evenings I spend conversing with my roommates in my ever-improving Spanish, casually reaching for the bottle of wine while eyeing the baguette and cheese that are within reach…

I mean we’re in France, right? :)

A plus,

annemary

Comments

1

My sweet girl,

How exciting to be able to be there with Julien enjoying the show of lights!! Yes the different lights seem to go on as magic. You know how I am fascinated with things such as the lights going on and off. (Maybe because there was a time when we lived without electricity).

In the middle of Parque Central, en la Ciudad de los Caballeros de Guatemala, there was a fountain that would be turned on and off along with different color lights. Someone alternated the water and the lights in a pattern that was quite entertaining. It made a nice show for the public. My mother used to tell that people would gather around the fountain and watch as the fountain be all lit with different color lights, red, green, blue, yellow, purple lights The public watching the water and the colors were in awe watching the show. They thought that the water was different color and would bring containers to take the colored water home with them, just to find out, with disappointment, the next day that the water was clear as usual...

  Tu mamita Dec 8, 2009 1:36 PM

2

Wow! The light show looks fantastic. What are they celebrating?

I'm glad you're having fun! Maybe, if I get a chance, I'll send something your way. We all know how fun it is to get mail!!

Peace and Love!

  Tracy Dec 9, 2009 2:20 AM

About anita


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.