Existing Member?

anita

Les vacances!

FRANCE | Wednesday, 4 November 2009 | Views [967] | Comments [4]

It’s so funny to me that I attempt to write about what I do in a way that would interest my audience enough that they would want to read about I'm up to.  Sure I’m in France, but apart from the continual and lazy threat of strikes and the feasibility of getting a fresh baguette, it would be as though I were to keep a blog in the US. That said, here is what I’ve been up to on my vacation...

(This is the view of the Rue St. Antoine in Paris from my seat in Meo 7, the cafe I'm writing from right now.)

As I mentioned before, my first two weeks of hard work were rewarded with two weeks vacation, and I’ve taken the opportunity to sweat my….ahem…butt off. Kelsey told me about a Bikram Yoga studio in Paris where, for 30 Euro, you have unlimited access to the yoga classes for 10 straight days. With 5 or 6 classes offered a day in two different studios, both in the heart of Paris, this was a phenomenal deal, and it’s exactly how I’ve been spending my vacation. For those not in the yoga loop, Bikram yoga is a yoga that is done at high temperatures, just 26 poses done twice, over the course of 90 minutes, and the goal is to improve your general health, and, in doing yoga in the intense heat, increase limberness and flexibility.  The Bikram studio I go to (the website if you are interested in seeing pictures and getting more info: http://www.bikramyogaparis.com/) practices in a room heated to 42*C (which I was shocked to see when I converted it that it’s 108*F!), and the temperature only rises in the small studio completely full with 30 or so yogis. Sweat already drips down your arms and legs during the beginning pose, an intense breathing pose, and by the end of the class you have become a human dishrag, completely soaked in your own sweat, no part of your body or clothing spared of your own perspiration…or for us girls, our “glowing”.

It’s pretty intense, but this is also why you do the yoga not just on a yoga mat, but on a towel on a yoga mat. I was impressed with the amount of sweat that can come out of each of my pores, and I usually drink an entire 1.5L bottle of water sans problem by the end of class, and finish off another 1.5L bottle in the following hours.  The yogis who practice are of all shapes, sizes, and ages, so it’s not at all an intimidating environment, especially since there seems to be a consistent flow of beginners, such as myself, doing the 10-day trial. On the other hand, to actually do the yoga class regularly, it’s expensive, and I laugh to myself thinking about how I am doing yoga amongst the Parisian elite.  The yoga is cool-ish, but I don’t know that I would continue doing it, even at a reasonable price; for now it provides me with an activity to occupy me daily, keeps me out of trouble :), and, if nothing else, makes me warm and cozy for a couple of hours in a country that has seemingly forgone regularly using central heating.

Other than yoga, my vacation has been pretty relaxing. The first weekend we took a 4-hour road trip to the center/east of France to the city of Le Creusot for the 25th birthday of one of Julien’s friends from school. This last weekend we headed east again, again 4 hours (this time by train!), to Belfort, France, where another one of Julien’s friends lives.  We arrived Friday evening, feasted on Raclette (a typical French meal that is essentially just melting Raclette cheese and then eating it with potatoes and slices of different meats)  for dinner with friends, and the next day a group of 9 of us headed just across the boarder to Germany’s famed Europa-Park, a theme park split into 15 distinct regions, mostly named after European countries. It was a fun time, though slightly disorienting being in a country where I recognized nothing of what was being announced/written. It was Halloween weekend which coincided with the last weekend the park was open, and consequently the park was overflowing with visitors.  We had to park in what was essentially an open field just outside the camping area, but leave it to the Germans, we were directed in such a way that our cars were VERY neatly organized even in the open field.  I had what I believe to be a requisite beer while in Germany, but our day-trip was short, and by Saturday evening we were back in France.

----

France observations:

I think similar to how New York City sometimes being referred to as the “The City that Never Sleeps,” Paris could take on the nickname “The City that Snoozes on Mondays.”  It is impressive how no less than 40% of shops, cafés, businesses (banks even!), exhibits, galleries, etc are just closed on Mondays. Yesterday, upon finding my “Meo 7” café (the phenomenal one with wireless, plugs, etc) closed, I tell you (though slightly ashamedly) I headed straight to a Starbucks that I knew of, and sure enough, it was open :) Paris, however, is a great improvement from smaller cities in France; Bourges, for example, is completely dead on Mondays, making an open boulangerie (bakery/bread shop) a challenge to find. And Mondays off for these places comes after Saturdays of closing early, and Sundays closing by noon or 1pm.  As my friend Shawn asked when I was telling him about this “what if you need to buy something at the grocery store at 3pm on a Sunday?” Tant pis (too bad)…or I guess bonne chance (good luck) finding a place that is open.

As many of you know, last weekend was Halloween, and as such I ran to the department store down the street from Julien’s apartment just hours before we were to depart for Belfort, hoping to find a simple costume, a mask, even just some face paint for the weekend’s festivities.  In looking for an impromptu Halloween disguise at Monoprix, I was highly disappointed to find only two princess costumes alongside a Spiderman costume…all ordinarily being viable options except that they were sized at “4 ans” (4 years old).  With no Thanksgiving decorations filling up sales’ racks (ok…forgivable) and no hype surrounding Halloween (less forgivable), the French have forged right onto Christmas and New Years by mid-October, little “2010” headbands already lining the walls. What?!

And espresso in France :) ..always comes in cute little cups, always comes with the accompanying cute espresso stirrers and sugar cubes, and always comes with a treat of some sort, a cookie, a chocolate, a sucker.  The only thing these coffee shops are missing is iced coffee, another specialty unique to Starbucks.

…though along with the rapid disappearance of pleasantly-cool, fall temperatures, I think my relentless query of “Est-ce que vous avez café glacé?” (Do you have iced coffee?) will also soon fade away.

Comments

1

I hope the new place you find is the snuggliest!! XO!

  Natalia Hacerola Nov 4, 2009 3:07 AM

2

Anne,
Your enthusiasm to indulge in new adventures never ceases to amaze/amuse me. I feel wilted just thinking of yoga in oven-like temperatures. I picture your mom and I trying to achieve these poses and disrupting the entire class with fits of laughter.

I had pictured Paris as a city of spontaneity but, with your described limited store hours, will now think of having to maintain a very regimented schedule or sitting around sharing stale bread with the birds.

Hope all goes well with your move and your new roommates are much more to your liking.

  Ann Wermer Nov 7, 2009 2:47 AM

3

Haha, stuff you should know about Starbucks should everything be closed and if you need internet, by having a registered gift card used within the last 30 days, you can get 2 hours of free Internet from ATT wifi inside of a Starbucks. (I assume that includes France and not just the US?).

  Lindsay Miller Nov 10, 2009 3:03 AM

4

Anne,

I love reading your blogs... I shall never tire of it!!

Love you!

Tracy

  Tracy S. Nov 23, 2009 12:48 PM

About anita


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.