Existing Member?

anita

winding through the Andes

ECUADOR | Tuesday, 11 December 2007 | Views [799]

My adventures started at 9:30pm on Wednesday night (I had vacation from school for the rest of the week because of the Fiestas de Quito) and I took the 9 hour overnight bus from Quito to Cuenca. As we passed through different neighborhoods and areas in Quito, you could see the Fiestas de Quito in full swing with lots of music, lights, dancing, and of course drinking. Starting out at a comfortable temperature, I was disturbed from my sleep at 2am due to the cold, temperatures outside hovering around 50 degrees Fahrenheit and proving to be no warmer within the bus ....and I woke up again at 3:00, and again at 4:00, until at 5:30am I curled up as much as possible and watched the sunrise over the Andes. Breathtaking but freezing.

I arrived in Cuenca at 6:30am and realized that Cuenca, at this hour of the morning, is uncomfortably cold as well. I found myself attending church at 7am at the beautiful "New Cathedral" (its real name! Named as such to distinguish it from "Old Cathedral" across the plaza) to keep from freezing, and spent the rest of the day exploring, touring, and shopping. By 7pm I plopped down in my bed at my hostel that had, in my private room, cable tv, a comfy bed, private bathroom (with hot shower!) and breakfast included for the luxurious price of $9...a good find.

Friday, then, I found myself writing, so here is an insight of some of my thoughts:

Friday, 07 december 07 7:30 pm hostel in Vicabamba

This morning I woke up thinking I was going to Loja and then on to Zamora, a town Rough Guide claimed had such beautiful views on the trip there and back that the trip itself made it worth going. Due to curiosity to explore a little more in Cuenca and a late start, I didn't leave Cuenca until 10am, 2 hours past original leaving time. This, coupled with Loja being 2 hours more south than originally thought, I canceled my idea of going to Zamora due to daylight restraints and decided instead to continue to the popular Vilcabamba, an hour south by bus from Loja.

But back to my Cuenca to Loja ride; 5 1/2 hours of disturbed sleep, beautiful landscapes, and lots of sun. The sleep issue and over sunning culminated until by hour 3 I was ready to abandon the bus and just stay in whatever little town I had landed myself. Then my seat partner got on the bus.

New seat partner, at hour 3, was a kindly woman of about 50 years old traveling with her mother to Loja. She asked where I was from, and I said the U.S., and, excited as could be, she started telling me about her nephew in L.A. Apparently he married an Ecuadorian/United State-ian (she was actually born in the U.S. to two Ecuadorian parents so she has dual citizenship) who, after living in the U.S. for the first 14 years of her life, moved with her parents to Ecuador to finish "high school" and university and by the time she finished university, she was dating Seat Lady's nephew, they married, and now live in L.A....in fact, Seat Lady visited her nephew and for a month stayed with him in L.A. ... On and on this lady went for the next two hours. Finally she punctuated her epic story with "You know, the thing that impresses me the most about you is how well you speak Spanish!" and with that she sat back and snoozed for the last stretch. I wasn't about to prod her back awake to ask how she would know seeing as she was the one who had been talking the past couple of hours (maybe it was my convincing head nods!); instead I put my headphones back in and watched the mountain-scape zip past.

I arrived in Loja then, bought my ticket to Vilcabamba, and prepared for my next trip. The Lojanos are so nice; from the ticket people, to the internet café supervisor, to the woman working at Pio Pio (a fastfood chicken place, "pio pio" apparently the noise chickens make) who kindly explained that "salchipapas" was salchicha (holding up a hot dog) and papas (holding up some fries), a concept I hadn't originally understood because of its blatant simplicity. Because my bus never arrived at the exact spot I expected, I missed it and a super nice ex-army-now-bus-station-po
licer helped guarantee me a spot in another bus without paying again. We talked for about a half hour then, poking fun at Quiteños and talking about Ecuador in general. Finally I got on my bus to Vilcabamba, put on my iPod, and sat back to enjoy the hour ride.

Meet Manuel, my seat-pal from Loja to Vilcabamba. A native of Vilcabamba, he has never truly left this town of 3000-4000 people (his general estimate). Looking to be pushing his mid 70s (though very lively), I was surprised when he mentioned he lives with his parents. Now my guide book has mentioned rumor that the mountains of Vilcabamba housed the very old, that Vilcabambans "enjoyed a considerably higher than average life expectancy with a very low incidence of cardiovascular health problems" but quickly dismissed this idea, saying rigorous studies revealed these claims to be "wildly exaggerated". Well, Manuel's dad is 105, and his mom is 98. Alive and well, they enjoy their days with their children, grandchildren, great grandchildren...great great grandchildren. Seeing the shocked expression on my face, he continued to say his grandfather died when he was almost 140, apparently a bit overweight toward the end. Ends up he died when he fell into some sort of hole? (this is from what I could gather from his story) at night? so nobody knew he was in trouble...something about falling so far down he was unable to get out and drowned in the end (a well?). Punto being, it wasn't of old age that he had passed away. I asked Manuel what led to people living so long, and he said (his explanation, my words) that it is a combination of chillness and the right nutrients/vitamins/diet. Once we arrived in Vilcabamba, Manuel helped me et a taxi to Hosteria Izhcayluma from where I am now writing (pencil and paper..old fashioned style!). Tomorrow I'm going on some sort of "almost like a jungle" tour/hike/cloud forest adventure..

Sunday, 09 december 07 5am Cuenca bus station

So yesterday I went on a cloudless day to a cloud forest. I, along with a couple from Germany and our guide, traipsed around (illegally I found out later) through the national park Podocarpus. It wasn't until we were quite far in that our guide tells us that along with 1500 different types of birds, the park is also home to tapirs, sloths, deer, bears, and pumas! Luckily we came across only their tracks on the trail, but it was a great adrenaline rush for the whole hike.

At the end of our hike, we burst through all the vegetation and back onto the gravel highway. It was at this point, only a four hour bus ride to the Peruvian boarder, that I headed back north to begin my +15 hour journey back to Quito.

In Loja I bought a ticket to Zamora (straying slightly from my Quito path to head toward the Orient) to check out the trip-worthy landscape between the two towns. I wasn't able to buy my ticket until 4:30pm, at which point the next bus leaving was at 6:45, so I paid my $2.40 and wandered around until it was time to go. 6:45pm brought not only my departure time but darkness, and by the time the bus left the station it was pitch-black. Though my plan had backfired, I took the ride anyway deciding 1) it was safer than sitting in the bus station or 2) it was cheaper than doing a taxi-hostel-taxi (I was timing long bus rides to be overnight). So it was that I plunged into the tropics shrouded in darkness.

All towns have their particular quirks, and though I only rode the bus into Zamora, switched buses, and rode right back out, I was able to experience the clock of Zamora: a huge lit-up clock that kept time very well, except that it was exactly 27 minutes late. Oh whatta town.

Back in Loja after my 4-hour round-trip, I watched the bus terminal TVs until I boarded the 11:30pm bus to Cuenca, where I am right now freeing and writing at 5:30am.

--------------------------------------------

From here I basically just headed up to Quito at 7:30am because I was too exhausted and hungry to go running around the ruins at Ingapirca [plus I have to leave SOMEthing new to visit when I come back!], also taking into account I had to be back for a test Monday. I arrived into Quito at about 5:30pm (Sunday) and headed straight to a "chifa" (chinese restaurant) that at orientation they warned us about broken health codes, cockroaches, etc....but it was so delicious and so cheap..

photos: http://wisc.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2321286&l=fe7ab&id=8628451

Another weekend, another bunch of adventures. This weekend is my last weekend to roam around anywhere further out of Quito, so we'll see what it brings. 12 days!

chao for now
annemary

Tags: Adventures

About anita


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.