Existing Member?

anita

Dreads, windex, and plastic gloves

ECUADOR | Monday, 3 December 2007 | Views [1114]

So my month-long hiatus from the catcalls, heckling, and general street-calling came to a screeching halt about 2 weeks ago. Because my hair decided it wanted to un-dread itself, I complied, and Daniela, and Lucy a little bit, spent the better part of a Saturday afternoon combing through the remaining ones. Monday then, I went out into the world dreadless, going even so far as to straighten my hair on my first day. And what an uninvited shock it was! I'm back to being equated to a pastry, the "ricas" and "mamacitas" coming back again full throttle. Honestly, creativity is not cat-caller's strong point. .

In other news, Lindsay and I have really begun to find the quirks of the green buses (between Quito and school) quite endearing. Be it little Jesuses hanging from the ceiling (assurances of a safe ride) or seeing just how fast our bus can get back into Quito (12 minutes in what should be a 20 minute ride...it's kind of terrifying as we realize that we are flying around the curves on two wheels) or even just how the green bus allows us to indulge in our new-found habit of harmonizing to N'Sync songs ("This I Promise You" being a definite favorite), we have found that a day without the a green bus experience is a sad day indeed. About a month ago, then, we were in a green bus headed back to Quito in the pouring rain, and the windshield was looking all foggy. Now the bus ayudante ("helper"..the guy that goes around and collects our money) is sitting up front with the bus driver, wiping away at the windshield, but things aren't getting any clearer. I can only imagine this is because the windshield needed to be wiped from the outside (now that I think about it, I don't remember windshield wipers...), but the ayudante continued uselessly wiping and wiping. Finally he whips out a bottle of windex, squirts the entire inside of the windshield, turns around, and proceeds to collect everybody's money. Now, notice how I didn't say he wiped it off, oh no. There were definite circular-shaped, windex sprays all over the inside of the window. Great. Now we can't see because of foggy windows AND windex dripping all over the place. Lindsay and I just sat there and kind of gawked, and the ayudante continued to collect all the money from everybody and when he got back to the front, he wiped off the windex. The result? Absolutely no change. What a strangely uneffective and inexplicable solution to the problem!

A couple of Saturdays ago Raluca and I went to the artisan market to buy...well lots of stuff. We decided to eat lunch at about 3 when we smelled a delicious aroma coming from "Texas Chicken". Intrigued by the delicious smell and cheap prices, we walked right in and ordered the only thing they had: chicken. So our chicken comes in pieces, but in some definite I-need-some-silverware pieces. Searching our little basket for silverware, we found only our napkins, so we proceeded to dive in with our hands. Having finished the chicken, I remove the plastic from around my napkin to clean my grease-filled fingers, when I realize the plastic has a form...of a hand. I was, in fact, holding plastic gloves. Now I don't know if they think that that is how we eat chicken in the States, but we had such a laugh at the prospect of having actually used the plastic gloves to eat our chicken. Que chiste..

This weekend was the Fiesta de Quito (well, the official day is actually December 6) i.e. Festival of How Drunk Can You Possibly Get. This in mind I fled the city and did a tour that I had wanted to do since my plane ride to Ecuador, appropriately marked with a "Continental Airlines" napkin. Though I had to study, I just had my vocab list that I really needed, so I studied on my library-on-wheels ( i.e. the bus) and bussed through the Andes, a spectacular backdrop to studying. I also went gold panning last weekend (and had Thanksgiving!), so I'll send the link to that too...sorry, there are lots of landscape pictures in these two albums...

gold panning and Thanksgiving: http://wisc.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2314511&l=47dca&id=8628451

Quilotoa: http://wisc.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2318214&l=9a569&id=8628451

annemary

Tags: Culture

About anita


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.