Existing Member?

anita

I exorcise the nastiness out of chicken hearts

ECUADOR | Wednesday, 12 September 2007 | Views [603]

So last night I sat down to dinner of some rice, potatoes and some sort of meat-looking pieces. I eagerly bit into a meat piece to find the consistency to be less than satisfying (consistency being EVERYTHING when I eat), nonetheless, I continued. I soon found that the meat had a peculiar aftertaste as well, and it was only until I was about halfway through that I asked Valeria what it was. Chicken heart pieces. Great. Not an experience I'd like to repeat at the very least!

And today! I got back home from school at 6ish and Lucy comes to my room and tells me that the reason it's all ordered (bed made, things off the floor, swept, etc) was because some ladies from her church were coming to do some "oraciones" or prayers. She said it would be something I had never seen before, and when I asked if there were anything I needed to do, she said no. So I was serenely on the internet when all of a sudden Lu runs out to greet her church ladies. About five minutes later, the four ladies entered the living room and I, from my room, hear murmuring, but I assumed they were just chatting away. The murmuring got progressively louder and louder until I was able to hear not only one chanting "en el nombre de Jesus" but another shouting some other prayer, another more quietly reciting another prayer, and one speaking in tongues! I was kind of freaking out in my room when Lucy and Daniella come in and Lu says "Anne, how about you accompany Dani for a walk?!" Without further prodding, I slammed my computer shut and Daniela and I fled from the house, saying "disculpe" as we walked through the group of ladies in the living room, now with arms up in the air, each seemingly possessed with their own chanting. Once a safe distance from the house, Dani and I laughed and laughed away at how the ladies had been successful at exorcising the house, as both Dani and I are agnostic, if not atheist. It was a new experience though...I mean how many people can say they've been exorcised out of some place? We wandered around the condominium area for about an hour, talking and laughing away, and luckily Dani's boyfriend was hungry and picked us up and we grabbed some burgers. Oh what a night!

Tomorrow night it looks like a group of us from school are going on a 9 hour journey to Ecuador's biggest city, Guayaquil. I'm not entirely sure what's going on, but a bunch of peeps are going and I was asked, and thus I go!

Hasta luego

annemary

Tags: Living Abroad

About anita


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.