Existing Member?

Journeys.... Let's explore the world by foot and take the highest road that has the most potholes...

Rotterdam and Gouda

NETHERLANDS | Monday, 11 May 2009 | Views [753] | Comments [6]

Arrived in Rotterdam this morning around 7:30, disembarked at 8:30 and headed for the central train station.  We are docked right across the river from the hotel we stayed in while last in Rotterdam attending the Banjer Boat show (see photo).

We took the "long way" to Gouda via Den Haag.  It took about an hour to make the 20 minute voyage via train.  It was great to be on land, walked to the centrum, saw the cheese house and church, then walked the waterways and canals.  It was nice to get out and see what we can remember of our time in Holland.  We stopped and had coffee, beer (Vin), appletaart (me) and Bitterbollen (Vin...I think they are nasty tasting).  It was fun to watch the people walk by.  We thought of buying the stroopwafels and bringing them home for you kids but figured they would be way stale by then and my waist line just can't take the abuse anymore.  I'm saving myself for the sticky toffee pudding in England. 

We took the faster train back to Rotterdam (20 minutes) and then meandered our way back to the Maritime Hotel and had a drink for old times sake.  We thought of Dad and our trip a few years back the last time in Holland.  The ship departs in about 1 hour so I am headed to the gym to try and not gain anymore excess baggage.  My clothes are getting tight and I hate to ask B&P to bring more of my stuff with them!

Cheers! 

 

Comments

1

I COPY THE BELOW COMMENTS FROM AN EARLIER THREAD THAT MANY MAY NOT HAVE REALIZED WAS STILL ACTIVE....

How about an animal or food quiz instead of plants... I'm much better at those topics.

Mel May 11, 2009 11:53 AM
12

Most excellent idea...and efficient. Cooking animals! Let's conjecture...The Baltic Sea: whitefish and beets, or cod liver oil vinaigrette on kale with shreds of anchovy, or potatoes with side pork and cat tails, or sardines in sour cream over rye with a hint of reindeer musk? Bring it!

Stephen the Elder May 11, 2009 3:04 PM

  Stephen the Elder May 12, 2009 3:51 PM

2

ah. I am officially jealous. I want to go to Holland desperately! Did you remember much of Rotterdam? Has it changed a lot?

  Beth May 12, 2009 11:03 PM

3

Bitterbollen - "round little breaded balls with this delicious, gooey gravy-like stuff on the inside that you dip in mustard and then eat." Yum....

  Bernie May 16, 2009 3:35 AM

4

Uncle Bernard...you can't just go make up your own pretend quiz and answer...cheating must run in the Jensen male genes.

  Mel May 16, 2009 3:41 AM

5

How else am I going to win?

Ah, Mel... you used to be so sweet - scary, but sweet!

  Uncle Bernard May 17, 2009 4:13 AM

6

Hey! I thought I was the "scary" one!

  Beth May 17, 2009 7:25 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Netherlands

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.