Existing Member?

Journeys.... Let's explore the world by foot and take the highest road that has the most potholes...

Day 13: Best seen after dusk

USA | Monday, 17 November 2008 | Views [458]

Tintagel Castle

Tintagel Castle

Good start this morning off to the land of King Arthur.  It took us a bit to find our way out of the maze they call Devon (small roads, tall thick hedges).  We landed at Tintagel Castle on the coast after driving for 30 miles – 1 ½ hours drive.  The Castle is perched up on top of a very steep hillside that is crumbling as you read this.  See photos – warning…the stairs were as scary as they looked.  It is a National Heritage location so we had to actually pay to go up and torture ourselves by climbing up the cliff face.  Luckily it wasn’t much!  We climbed up the stairs, Vinnie being mean to me the entire way.  The climb up was worth it.  Amazing how they built hundreds of little houses up on a dilapidating hill.  You could still see the ruins, the old Castle walls etc.  We walked for some time then off we headed to Penzance.

It took us another 2 hours to drive another 45 miles to Penzance , me dozing in the side seat.  Much safer for my heart than watching Vinnie drive J.  Arrived around 3 pm and must say we were a bit disappointed in the city and in our lodgings.  We are supposed to stay 3 nights but we’ve already decided we are off tomorrow to finish looking around Cornwall and are heading back up to Devon for more walking on the Moors.  We are staying in a Victorian BB, a bit more rundown than expected but the folks seem very nice.  It is more of a hotely sort of thing than a private home.  We think the gal that met us was just a caretaker/livein who takes care of the place.  This town is best seen at dusk or later.  It isn’t bad…just nothing compared to all of the other areas we’ve seen so far.  Dinner: Indian again…not the best, but certainly edible.  We haven't had much luck with Rick Steve's advice but this time he was dead on.

Cheers!

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.