Existing Member?

Journeys.... Let's explore the world by foot and take the highest road that has the most potholes...

Day 11: Wild Ponies!

USA | Saturday, 15 November 2008 | Views [452]

Dartmoor wild ponies - dangerous!

Dartmoor wild ponies - dangerous!

Early breakfast, full Monty, don't want to starve or loose my latest addition (preggers...4 months I'd guess). Got a semi-early start and drove into Dartmoor national park and got started on a nice long walk.  Drove by our B&B twice (my navigation excels!)finally arrived much later then we should have to our walk (Vinnie's choice).We saw wild ponies so pulled the car over to take photos and gawk.  Stopped the car (wouldn’t want to scare the poor wild things) rolled down the window and they just about attacked us climbing into the window looking for cookies…which of course we fed them.  See photo’s – caution: you might be frightened.  The Car park was right where it should have been, so we parked, got out and were on our way.  I managed to remember to bring water this time along with plenty of snacks (I don't want to loose my excess bulges).  Anyway… the walk was a nice accent upwards for 2 ½ miles, then up and across the moor.  We stopped for a bite of cheese and biscuits, potty, and onward.  Saw lots of bracken, rocks, hills, wind, ponies, and a tree or two!  We went across the top of the moors for about 3 miles then back down the hill for a few miles back into town.  Saw crags and a few barrows.  After the walk we went into a nearby Pub so Vinnie could drink his beer and I had a coffee – we shared a sticky toffee pudding (my new fat favorite). 

The drive back towards Tavistok and stopped to see an old village that was just ruins and other assorted Craggy things.  Made it back to the BB fine, quick chat with the owners and out again because we didn’t want to miss EATING again.  Indian food – pretty good.  That’s it for tonight. Cheers!

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.