Existing Member?

ange in africa...again one aussie girl, 6 weeks, back to the continent that captured my heart

the bracelets and the sardines

KENYA | Wednesday, 3 October 2007 | Views [832] | Comments [4]

so I guess I should elaborate a bit on the opening line. i just had possibly one of the most random bizarre moments I've had since being in kenya. was walking down the main drag of mombasa when this old muslim guy came up to me and started talking about how hot it was. the conversation then went to him asking me if I would write a postcard to his daughter if he gave me the address. why not, i said. so he's written down his address and then given me a few silver bracelets for my troubles. asante sana (thank you very much), i said. then he asks me to go down the road and buy him 2 sardines in exchange for the bracelets, to which i say, i haven't got any money on me. so he then basically asked for the bracelets back and bid me farewell. gotta love kenya.

i've basically just had two of the most chilled out weekends of my life, perfect in every way. last weekend was spent in watamu, just north of mombasa, a true tropical island paradise. basically did nothing but eat drink and lay by the pool for the weekend. we stayed in a place called turtle bay hotel and it was awesome, right on the beach and 4000 shillings each for all inclusive ie,  accomodation plus all you can eat and drink, for around $65. cheap as chips.

the weekend just gone was spent a bit further up the north coast, not too far from the somali border in a place called lamu. its pretty much an all muslim island so there weren't too many places with beer or serving food during the day cos its ramadan at the minute. but it was awesome, so relaxed and chilled out. we flew from mombasa in a plane that felt like it was gonna fall out of the sky, one of those 30 seater babies. then the airport was basically like a potholes bitumen road with a grass hut for a terminal, we were just like TIA, this is africa! then we got a boat from the airport to lamu island, and were thinking, you've got to be kidding! there's no roads, no cars, but around 40000000000000000000 donkeys! so the place smells quite pleasant as you could imagine, and the town itself is just a series of narrow alleyways just big enough to fit a donkey through! but after the initial shock wore off, i actually really enjoyed myself, just sat around talking shit, drinking vodka and coming up with business plans with the girls i was with so we can stay in kenya forever. good times, good times. also had a conversation with this rasta muslim guy at the only bar on the beach, about how he doesn't drink alcohol because its against islam, but smokes a whole lotta weed and thats ok. interesting theory!

so now i'm back in mombasa, back to reality, the big smoke with all its cars, buses and lack of donkeys. I'll probably be here for another week or two, don't really have any set in stone plans from here on in, which feels awesome. probably gonna head back to nairobi and do a trip to the north of kenya, lake turkana where its really remote and untouched by tourism. but again, nothings set in stone, so take each day as it comes and enjoy the ride for what it is. love ya guts...ange

Tags: Misadventures

Comments

1


Gday Ange,

Sounds like you're really fitting into the groove, don't get too comfortable, we do want you back sometime. That's so bizarre. the old guy with the bracelets, sounds so weird to encounter someone like that.

Be safe and continue enjoying yourself, not to the extreme tho.....you guessed right, this is your mother here....LOL

luv your guts too.

mum
xxxooo

  mum Oct 6, 2007 6:55 PM

2

what a life you have, enjoying your-self doing just what you want too. Really i am jealous its not me.
Keep going but don't for-get you have to come home to aussie land.
love ya

gran & gramps

  granny mcmammy Oct 14, 2007 7:19 PM

3

Sounds like ur having a ball. Hope ur staying safe and doing all u wish to do.
love ya lots and miss u more.
xoxox
toodles

  jess Oct 15, 2007 1:27 PM

4

Hey Angeline,
Well last time I was looking at your site and read this page I was back in gladdy and wrote you a big message on here and then the computer chucked a narney and it didn't send, very annoying. So i've finaly gotten to a computer again to say hello! Loved the text from you on the weekend, I was pulling out the moves through the unit singing...just dance..! I was in gladdy for Shell and Fred's wedding and Shell is pregnant, fair to say that Mrs Chapman's christmases have all come at once! I'm going back this weekend too for the races, i'll be thinking of you when i'm sipping on some cardonnay! Kath and Kim is on TV now, just love it!! Well chika that is about all for now, miss ya love ya, everything you're doing sounds so great, I have the travel bug again, i'm thinking India in a years time when I have the funds, mwuh xoxo

  Ange Oct 17, 2007 7:05 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Kenya

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.