Existing Member?

ange in africa...again one aussie girl, 6 weeks, back to the continent that captured my heart

not so big bad nairobi

KENYA | Friday, 26 October 2007 | Views [811] | Comments [2]

so here i am in supposedly big bad 'nairobbery', and i think i must be the only person on the whole planet who actually likes this place. not just like, i can say with conviction that i love nairobi! after 2 and a half months in mombasa, nairobi is like metropolitan heaven. it has proper shops and malls, fast food outlets (had my first burger chips and coke combo in 3 months on monday!!), actual funky cafes, people dress stylishly, people don't stare and they don't shout out incessently 'mzungu how are you'! so needless to say i've spent way too much money in the shops and at cafes just soaking it up cos i can!! i don't doubt that 'robes' as i'm now affectionately calling it, has its bad reputation for good reason, some really hardcore stuff goes down here, but for the most part of it the city centre's safe which is where i'm staying. also there are no streetkids, which is bizarre after the constant hassle from the glue sniffing ragamuffins in mombasa. the train journey from mombasa was pretty cool, granted it took 16 hours, but its all part of the experience! i saw an ostrich and a giraffe in the morning just cruising along, and also what i thought could be a wildebeest, but was most likely a cow knowing my bad eyesight!! i've just gotten back from one night at lake nakuru, just a bit outside of nairobi, which was so beautiful, but the trip there was literally so painful. its the worst road i've ever encountered not just in kenya, but in my entire life, i had the sorest back after i got out! lake nakuru is basically a national park with a big lake that plays home to around 1 million flamingoes, which is an awesome sight, like a never ending sea of pink! took some awesome photos which i'll post soon. i also saw a whole lot of rhino's which was really cool cos in kruger i only saw one, and in nakuru in the space of about 100metres i saw 9! there was even a rhino family, mum, dad and baby, which was very very cool. apparently the baby rhino's horn doesn't start coming through till its about 7 years old so it breast feeds until then!! i guess its a lot like human breast feeding, once the kid starts getting teeth or in this case a horn the mother's like hell no, time you were weaned!!! so now i'm back in the robes for two more nights before i hit the painful road again for kampala, uganda. i'm meeting up with my homestay family's family tomorrow which will be cool. apparently emily's mum was all like why is angela staying in a hotel, she can come and stay with me, which is really nice considering i've never met the woman! so i'm going for lunch tomorrow then more shopping, hey why not completely break the bank, then on saturday off to uganda. if feels really awesome to be proper on the road again. i mean initially it was hard leaving mombasa and there were a few tears, but i'm having such a good time in nairobi and getting ready to do the gorilla trek which has been like the big drawcard for this whole trip, so its all good again!!! so the next time i post, i'll no longer be in kenya, beautiful kenya, my home for the last 3 months, still such a bipolar place but i've definately grown to love it! kwa heri ya kuonana (goodbye until we meet again)

Tags: Adventures

Comments

1

WOW, sounds so amazing, hope u look after urself and not spend all of your money. I would love to see a rhino, cant imagine what it would feel like to see such wild animals in the wild where they belong and not in a cage. well have fun and cant wait to hear what you are up to next.
toodles


  jess Oct 26, 2007 8:37 AM

2

Hey sunshine

Great to hear that you are well and having a ball. Sounds awesome, my little family says hi, great to be a part of your journey on this side of the world. I was waiting to hear where to send the books, never mind let me know if you need anything. All is well look forward to reading more about life there. Take care and keep trackin.......

Care and hugs
Judy Youssef

  judy youssef Oct 29, 2007 7:07 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Kenya

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.