Existing Member?

Live as if this is all there is!

Epilogue- Back to reality

USA | Friday, 19 September 2008 | Views [674]

So Kyle and I have been back in the US for a little over a month.  It was a hard adjustment.  We both readapted in a different way.  Kyle had a hard time right at first.  He was irritated by American’s and the way they seemed so ungrateful for what they have.  I think to Kyle they seemed like typical “dirty Americans”.  But I think part of that had to do with actually being able to understand what everyone around us were saying.  Perhaps the Vietnamese women at the market were discussing the fruit and textile and turning their noses up at it if it wasn’t good enough, but we couldn’t understand that.  But then at the airport in Chicago we could clearly understand the teenage girls with fake blonde hair whining to her overweight mother.  I guess this was just too much for Kyle all of a sudden!

 

I, on the other hand, was very happy to be home.  I was happy that I could actually read the signs at restaurants and stores, and that I could understand what was going on around me.  I was extremely happy to see my cats and sleep in my own bed.  And I was excited to find a new job!  Which I finally did after about two weeks of looking and interviewing, which was way longer than I had expected.  I was a little worried about our money situation, but finally I got offered a job which pays more than I was making before.  Then to top it all off I like it way more than my last job!  I had about 2 weeks to wait before I started my job, and I was so bored!  I was trying not to spend money so Kyle and I didn’t really do much.  So we went from doing crazy, new things everyday to not leaving our familiar house for two straight days!  I thought I was going to go crazy!  Finally, Stephanie came to visit us and right after that I started my new job.  And now finally I think I am going through what Kyle went through when we first got back.  I find myself daydreaming about Asia and all of our adventures.  I sometimes find myself being bothered by the fact that I know where I will be sleeping every night or I know what I will be eating.  I am like this with many things though.  I usually hate it while it is happening and then I always look back on it with fond memories.  The whole hindsight is 20/20 thing!

 

I just seem to have this restless feeling.  Now I know there is so much going on all around the world and I had been a part of that.  And now I am “stuck” here in Minnesota seeing the same familiar things everyday.  Well I am not completely unhappy, I really like my new job and it is nice to be back to enjoy the fall weather, and MN has a lot to offer.  Traveling to those countries forced Kyle and I to use all of our senses and abilities, and now being back here is so easy.  It doesn’t require much to get through the day.  I think I really miss the feeling of accomplishment when we would successfully make it through another obstacle or even make it through a particular day.

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.